Mumbai, March 16 (IANS) Maharashtra on Monday announced compulsory quarantine for all people arriving to the state from USA, Dubai and Saudi Arabia as an extra precaution against the coronavirus pandemic.
Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said that in addition to the seven nations notified by the Centre last week, Maharashtra has added three more countries to the list.
"Besides the seven other countries, the state will implement compulsory ''home quarantine'' for all people coming from these three countries," Thackeray told mediapersons as the number of coronavirus cases touched 39 in the state - the highest in the country.
The other worst-hit countries from where all passengers coming to the state have to undergo mandatory ''home quarantine'' include: China, Iran, Italy, South Korea, France, Spain and Germany.
A majority of the 39 cases found positive in the state concern those having a recent history of foreign travel, and subsequently some others who came in ''first contact'' with such persons were also infected.
Health Minister Rajesh Tope said that as per centre''s directives, all passengers from coronavirus affected countries arriving after Feb. 15 are already undergoing thermal screening at the three international airports - Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur.
As per the new directives today, those sent to ''home quarantine'' shall be ''stamped'' on their left hand to enable identify them if they break quarantine and mingle with the general public before their isolation period ends.
The state has already lapsed into an unprecedented partial shutdown with all schools, colleges, malls, theatres, cinema halls, swimming pools, gyms, sanctuaries, gardens, playgrounds, temples, et al, ordered closed, and also cancelled all functions, events, festivals, etc, till March 31.
Disclaimer :- This story has not been edited by Outlook staff and is auto-generated from news agency feeds. Source: IANS