US To End H-1B Lottery, New Rules Likely To Hit Indian Applicants

O
Outlook News Desk
Curated by: Ainnie Arif
Published at:

The US Department of Homeland Security said the change, effective February 27, 2026, will apply to about 85,000 H-1B visas issued annually, making it tougher for entry-level applicants.

visa
US To End H-1B Lottery, New Rules Likely To Hit Indian Applicants
Summary of this article
  • The Trump administration plans to replace the lottery-based H-1B system with a weighted model favouring higher-paid and more highly skilled foreign workers from FY 2027.

  • The move is part of a broader overhaul of the H-1B programme.

  • It is alongside proposals such as a $100,000 visa fee and a separate “gold card” pathway for wealthy individuals.

The United States’ proposed changes to its visa regime are expected to significantly affect H-1B applicants from India. The shift is likely to make it far harder for entry-level workers — including a large number of Indian applicants — to secure employment visas in the US.

The Trump administration plans to replace the lottery-based H-1B work visa system with a weighted selection model that prioritises higher-paid and more highly skilled foreign professionals.

The US Department of Homeland Security has said it is amending “regulations governing the process by which USCIS selects H-1B registrations for unique beneficiaries for filing of H-1B cap-subject petitions”.

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, “The rule implements a weighted selection process that will favor allocating H-1B visas to higher-skilled and higher-paid aliens while maintaining the opportunity for employers to secure H-1B workers at all wage levels. This final rule is effective February 27, 2026, and will be in place for the FY 2027 H-1B cap registration season,” it said in a notification.

The move to scrap the lottery system is part of a broader effort by the Trump administration to overhaul the H-1B programme. The DHS said the revised rules will apply to around 85,000 H-1B visas issued annually, beginning with the fiscal year 2027 registration cycle.

Explaining the reasoning behind the change, US Citizenship and Immigration Services spokesperson Matthew Tragesser said in a statement: “The existing random selection process of H-1B registrations was exploited and abused by US employers who were primarily seeking to import foreign workers at lower wages than they would pay American workers.”

A press release announcing the overhaul said the policy is aligned with other recent measures introduced by the administration, including a presidential proclamation requiring employers to pay an additional $100,000 per visa to qualify.

Earlier this year, US President Donald Trump signed a proclamation imposing a $100,000 annual fee on H-1B visas for highly skilled workers — a move that is currently under legal challenge. He also announced a $1 million “gold card” visa programme that offers wealthy individuals a pathway to US citizenship.

At present, the annual cap on new H-1B visas is set at 65,000, with an additional 20,000 reserved for applicants holding a master’s degree or higher.

(with inputs from The Indian Express)

Read all the latest breaking news on Outlook India and stay updated with top stories from India, Entertainment, Education, and around the world.

  • image
  • image
  • image
×

Latest Sports News

Trending Stories

Latest Stories