Wrestlers' Protest: FIR Against WFI Chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh To Be Filed Today, Says Delhi Police

Seven women wrestlers have accused Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh of sexual harassment.

Wrestlers protest at Jantar Mantar

The Delhi Police on Friday informed the Supreme Court that the FIR would be registered against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh today.

Seven women wrestlers have accused WFI chief Singh of sexual harassment. Some of the country's top wrestlers are currently protesting in Delhi's Jantar Mantar area since Sunday over inaction in the case. 

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Delhi Police, told a bench comprising Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice P S Narasimha that the FIR would be registered today.

"We have decided to register an FIR. It will be registered today," Mehta told the bench, which was hearing a plea filed by seven women wrestlers alleging non-registration of an FIR on their sexual harassment allegations against Singh.

The SC also directed the Delhi Police Commissioner to make an assessment of the threat perception and provide adequate security to one of the minor girls, who is an alleged victim of the sexual assault.

In January, when the issue was first raised, the protest was called off after the Sports Ministry set up a committee to investigate the matter. Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur at the time announced that a five-member oversight committee, headed by boxer MC Mary Kom, will look into allegations against Singh, a BJP leader and a muscleman with criminal history. However, no FIR has so far been filed in the matter. 

On Sunday, wrestlers resumed their protests in Delhi and returned to returned to the protest site at Jantar Mantar. Some of the protesting wrestlers are Olympic medallist Bajrang Punia, Commonwealth Games gold medallist Vinesh Phogat, and Olympic medallist Sakshi Malik — all of whom are among the most accomplished Indian wrestlers. 

Earlier, Delhi Police had sought a report from the probe committee set up by the Ministry of Sports to investigate the case.

(With PTI inputs)