International

Israel-Hamas War: Israel Orders 'Complete Siege' Of Gaza, All Areas Retaken From Hamas, Attacks Launched From Lebanon

The death toll in Israel has surpassed 800 and the number of injured is estimated to be at least 2,300. Of those killed, 73 were military personnel including senior officers and 34 police personnel. Gaza-based Hamas continued to launch rockets attacks into Israel throughout Monday.

Israel-Palastine War
info_icon

The State of Israel on Monday ordered a "complete siege" of the Hamas-controlled Gaza region as Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said that no person or services would be allowed to come out or go inside the region. 

Even as the Israel ramped up the pressure on Gaza, a potentially new front opened in the ongoing Israel-Hamas War on Monday as Mutiple attacks were launched into northern Israel from Lebanon. 

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said that, after over two days of fighting, all the communities in southern Israel that the Hamas attackers had captured had been retaken. 

These developments come as rocket attacks from Gaza-based Hamas, a designated terrorist organisation, have continued. Sirens have blared throughout southern and central Israel throughout Monday. 

The death toll in Israel has surpassed 800 and the number of injured is estimated to be at least 2,300. Of those killed, 73 were military personnel including senior officers and 34 police personnel, according to The Times of Israel. 

The Hamas on Saturday mounted an all-out offensive against Israel. Hamas launched around at least 3,000 rockets into Israel and its attackers invaded Israel in a coordinated manner by land, air, and sea. In the thinly-guarded border region, the attackers took control of several communities and went around attacking and abducting civilians at will for hours. 

Even though the Israel has mobilised a record 300,000 military personnel, no ground offensive has yet been launched into Gaza from where Hamas is operating. The available intelligence has, however, indicated that such an action could commence in a day or two. Meanwhile, the Israel Air Force has continued to strike Hamas-associated targets inside Gaza. A top Hamas leader was also captured on Sunday by the Israeli navy. 

Israel orders 'complete siege' of Gaza

The Israeli government on Monday ordered the "complete siege" of Gaza, meaning that the Israel-Gaza border would be completely sealed and all inter-border services such as electricity and water supply have been blocked. 

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said, "I have ordered a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed," said Gallant, adding that they were fighting "beastly people" in a reference to Hamas.

Despite the continuing airstrikes by Israel inside Gaza to take down Hamas facilities, the barrage of rockets into Israel has continued. Sky News reported that a "huge rocket barrage" targeted Israel from inside Gaza on Monday. The Israeli military said that the rockets targeted central Israel, including Jerusalem. 

"Sirens were heard in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Ra’anana and as far north as Baqa al-Gharbiyye...One rocket fell in an open area near Ben Gurion Airport. However, the airport said it was operating normally," reported The Times of Israel.

Meanwhile, Gaza's Hamas-run health authorities said that around 500 people have been killed and around 2,000 have been injured in Israeli strikes in the region so far, according to Al Jazeera. Additionally, a United Nations (UN) agency said around 1,23,000 have been displaced from their homes and are sheltering at relatively safer locations elsewhere, including in schools. 

Since 2007, Hamas has been controlled and run by Gaza and is home to several groups operating against Israel. The region is also among the most vulnerable in terms of conditions of living as residents face severe lack of education, healthcare, and employment amid a 16-year-blockade jointly imposed by Israel and Egypt. Much of the Gaza's income comes from foreign aid or from Palestinian residents of Gaza working in Israel. However, such work has been stopped since the outbreak of violence. Now, Israeli government has stopped all supplies of energy and food as well and that's bound to further aggravate the humanitarian situation in the region.

Attacks launched on Israel from inside Lebanon 

A new front in the ongoing Israel-Hamas War opened on Tuesday as rockets and attackers were launched from Lebanon into northern Israel. 

After sirens started blaring in northern Israel as rockets were launched, reports also surfaced that attackers have infiltrated from Lebanon. The Palestinian groups like Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) are based in Lebanon and have previously also used the country as a launchpad against Israel. In addition to these Iran-supported groups, Iran proxy Hezbollah also has a strong presence in the country.

The Israeli military on Monday evening said, "The IDF neutralised a number of terrorist infiltrators who crossed from Lebanon into Israel. We are defending our country and stand ready on all borders."

Additionally, the Israeli military also said that its attack helicopters have carried out strikes inside Lebanon in response to the attacks. 

"The strikes come after a number of gunmen infiltrated into northern Israel from Lebanon earlier. IDF troops killed several of them, the military said," reported The Times of Israel. 

The Hezbollah, which holds considerable sway in Lebanon, denied any role in the attacks launched on Monday.

Visuals have also surfaced of considerable reinforcements being deployed to the Lebanese border.

Coming fight will change Middle East: PM Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said that the coming fight would change the face of the Middle East. 

Earlier, Netanyahu had said that the country would impose unprecedented costs on Hamas for the all-out offensive mounted on Israel. 

"I know you’ve been through tough, terrible things. What Hamas will go through will be tough and terrible — we’re already in the midst of the battle and we’ve only just begun...The nation will turn over every stone to help you all. I ask that you stand strong because we are going to change the Middle East," said Netanyahu. 

At least 9 US nationals among many foreigners killed

The Joe Biden administration on Monday confirmed that at least nine US nationals were also killed in the Hamas offensive. 

Advertisement

The US National Security Council (NSC) said in a statement: "At this time, we can confirm the death of nine U.S. citizens. We extend our deepest condolences to the victims and to the families of all those affected, and wish those injured a speedy recovery. We continue to monitor the situation closely and remain in touch with our Israeli partners, particularly the local authorities. We continue to monitor the situation closely and remain in touch with our Israeli partners, particularly the local authorities."

The Israeli paper Haaretz also reported that the US government is also working of verify reports that more US nationals could be in Hamas captivity. 

Advertisement

Separately, BBC News reported that at least 10 British nationals are feared to be dead or missing in Israel in the Hamas offensive. So far, only one death has been confirmed. 

Besides them, additional 11 Thai nationals are said to be Hamas captivity in addition to two dead. French and German nationals have also been targeted, including a woman whose footage has been widely shared and condemned. In the footage, the seemingly dead woman, identified as a German national, is being paraded in a semi-naked state by Hamas personnel in Gaza amid celebratory cheers.

Additionally, 10 Nepali students as part of an exchange programme have also been confirmed to have been killed by Hamas, according to the Nepali mission in Israel.

Advertisement

260 killed at music festival

The Hamas particularly targeted a music festival in southern Israel's desert region where at least 260 bodies have been recovered, according to rescuers. 

The site was also the place from where several revellers were abducted and taken to Gaza as hostages, as per reports. 

The Times of Israel reported that there were around 3,000 revellers at the site and at least 260 bodies have so far been recovered from there. 

Tags

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement