Mt Everest Summit: Indian-Origin Singaporean Man Goes Missing, Sherpas Began Search Operations

A man called Shrinivas Sainis Dattatraya separated from his group and did not make it down like the rest. His wife reportedly said he could be down with high-altitude cerebral oedema. Local authorities in Nepal and emergency medical services are in close contact with the Singapore High Commission.

Ama Dablam peak (6,856m) enroute the hiking trail leading to the Everest base camp

An Indian-origin Singaporean climber has reportedly gone missing after reaching the summit of Mount Everest, his family has called for urgent attention to his situation.

According to a petition on the website, Shrinivas Sainis Dattatraya set out from Singapore to Nepal last month to climb the world's highest peak.

His cousin Divya Bharath wrote in the petition that on the way down, Shrinivas seemed to have suffered frostbite and altitude sickness. This probably might have resulted in Dattatraya getting separated from the rest of his group, and "fell at around 8,000 metres, likely onto the Tibetan side of the mountain".

According to reports, a Singaporean news channel on Saturday cited Bharat as saying that a team of sherpas began search operations for Dattatraya on Saturday morning. He was reportedly last in contact with base camp officials at around 8,500 metres.

In the petition, Bharath wrote that the family has reached out to the governments concerned.

"This matter needs to be brought to their attention on an urgent basis. We need a special rescue team that is trained to operate in such risky terrain as well as to ensure that this whole rescue operation is not hindered by diplomatic paperwork," reportedly Bharath said.

She added that Shrivinas' family was devastated but did not want to lose hope.

Shrinivas, 39, who is an executive director at real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle, left for Mount Everest on April 1. He was due to return home on June 4.

According to a reports, Dattatraya last sent a text message to his wife on Friday saying that he has reached the summit of Everest but was not likely to make it back down.

His wife Sushma Soma said that she last heard from him at 3.30 pm on Friday.

"Through his satellite phone, he told me that he had made it to the summit. But then followed with bad news. He said that he would not be able to make it down," reportedly Soma said.

She added that Shrinivas had told her he was down with high-altitude cerebral oedema, a severe type of high-altitude illness that could prove fatal.

Soma learnt at 2 am on Saturday that the two Sherpas her husband was with and another person in the group made it down from the mountain but Shrinivas never did.

According to reports, the Singapore High Commission in New Delhi has been in close contact with Shrinivas' family, local authorities in Nepal and emergency medical services since Friday evening.

Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue to monitor developments and render the necessary consular support to the family during this difficult time, the reports cited the ministry as saying. 

(With PTI inputs)