International

Russian Soldiers Deploying Away From Kyiv Leaving Behind Mines, Says Zelenskyy

Several areas near Kyiv have been reclaimed by Ukrainian forces after forcing the Russians out or moving in after them, according to officials.

A Russian tank in Ukraine
info_icon

Russian military redeploying from Ukraine's capital Kyiv to the Donbas region in the country's east have created a “catastrophic" situation for civilians by leaving behind mines around homes, abandoned equipment, and corpses, said President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Saturday.

Following the Russian announcement earlier this week that they would reduce military operations near Kyiv and northern city of Chernihiv, Ukraine and its Western partners reported that Russians are redeploying to east rather than withdrawing. 

Several areas near Kyiv have been reclaimed by Ukrainian forces after forcing the Russians out or moving in after them, according to officials.

The visible shift did not mean the country faced a reprieve from more than five weeks of war or that the more than four million refugees who have fled Ukraine will return soon.

Zelenskyy said he expected departed towns to receive airstrikes and shelling from afar and for the battle in the east to be intense.

He said in a nightly video message, “It's still not possible to return to normal life, as it used to be, even at the territories that we are taking back after the fighting. We need wait until our land is demined, wait till we are able to assure you that there won't be new shelling."

Moscow's focus on Eastern Ukraine also kept the besieged southern city of Mariupol in the crosshairs.

The port city on the Sea of Azoz is located in the mostly Russian-speaking Donbas region, where Russia-backed separatists have fought Ukrainian troops for eight years and military analysts think Russian President Vladimir Putin is seeking to expand control after his forces failed to secure Kyiv and other major cities.

The International Committee of the Red Cross planned to try Saturday to get emergency supplies into Mariupol and to evacuate residents.

The Red Cross said it was unable to carry out the operation on Friday because it did not receive assurances the route was safe. City authorities said the Russians blocked access to the city.

Mariupol, which was surrounded by Russian forces a month ago, has been the scene of some of the war's worst attacks, including on a maternity hospital and a theatre sheltering civilians.

Around 100,000 people are believed to remain in the city, down from a prewar population of 430,000, and facing dire shortages of water, food, fuel and medicine.

The city's capture would give Moscow an unbroken land bridge from Russia to Crimea, which it seized from Ukraine in 2014, but also has taken on symbolic significance during Russia's invasion, said Volodymyr Fesenko, head of the Ukrainian think-tank Penta.

“Mariupol has become a symbol of Ukrainian resistance, and without its conquest, Putin cannot sit down at the negotiating table,” Fesenko said.

The Mariupol city council on Saturday said 10 empty buses were headed to Berdyansk, a city 84 kilometres west of Mariupol, to pick up people who can get there on their own.

Some 2,000 made it out of Mariupol on Friday, some on buses and some in their own vehicles, city officials said.

Oleksiy Arestovych, an adviser to Zelenskyy, in an interview with Russian lawyer and activist Mark Feygin said that Russia and Ukraine had reached an agreement to allow 45 buses to drive to Mariupol to evacuate residents “in coming days”.

Such agreements have been reached before, only to be breached. On Thursday, Russian forces blocked a 45-bus convoy attempting to evacuate people from Mariupol and seized 14 tons of food and medical supplies bound for the city, Ukrainian authorities said.

Zelenskyy said he discussed the humanitarian disaster in Mariupol with French President Emmanuel Macron on telephone and with the president of the European Parliament, Roberta Metsola, during her visit to Kyiv on Friday.

“Europe doesn't have the right to be silent about what is happening in our Mariupol,” Zelenskyy said. “The whole world should respond to this humanitarian catastrophe.”

On the outskirts of Kyiv, signs of fierce fighting were everywhere in the wake of the Russian redeployment. Destroyed armoured vehicles from both armies left in streets and fields and scattered military gear covered the ground next to an abandoned Russian tank.

Ukrainian forces recaptured the city of Brovary, 20 kilometres east of the capital, said Mayor Ihor Sapozhko on Friday. Shops were reopening and residents were returning but “still stand ready to defend” their city, he added.

“Russian occupants have now left practically all of the Brovary district,” Sapozhko said. “Tonight, (Ukrainian) armed forces will work to clear settlements of (remaining) occupants, military hardware, and possibly from mines.”

Elsewhere, at least three Russian ballistic missiles were fired late on Friday at the Odesa region on the Black Sea, regional leader Maksim Marchenko said.

The Ukrainian military said the Iskander missiles did not hit the critical infrastructure they targeted.

Odesa is Ukraine's largest port and the headquarters of its navy.

As the war dragged on, the US Defence Department on Friday night said it was providing an additional USD300 million in arms to Ukrainian forces.

Advertisement

Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said in a statement that the gear in the new package includes laser-guided rocket systems, unmanned aircraft, armoured vehicles, night vision devices and ammunition. Medical supplies, field equipment and spare parts were also included in the package, the statement said.

There was no immediate word on Saturday on the latest round of talks between Russian and Ukrainian negotiators, which took place on Friday by video.

During a round of talks earlier in the week, Ukraine said it would be willing to abandon a bid to join NATO and declare itself neutral — Moscow's chief demand — in return for security guarantees from several other countries.

Advertisement

On Friday, the Kremlin accused Ukraine of launching a helicopter attack on a fuel depot on Russian soil.

Ukraine denied responsibility for the fiery blast at the civilian oil storage facility on the outskirts of the city of Belgorod, about 25 kilometres (16 miles) from the Ukraine border.

If Moscow's claim is confirmed, it would be the war's first known attack in which Ukrainian aircraft penetrated Russian airspace.

Oleksiy Danilov, secretary of Ukraine's national security council, said on Ukrainian television: “For some reason they say that we did it, but in fact this does not correspond with reality.”

Later, in an interview with American TV channel Fox News, Zelenskyy refused to say whether Ukraine was behind the attack. 

Advertisement

With AP inputs

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement