The Covid 19 pandemic-induced lockdown was first imposed by the central government on March 24th, 2020 following a one-day Janata curfew on the 22nd of March. The lockdown was extended and reinstated multiple times from 2020 to 2021. It continues to affect the lives of millions following the shutting down of businesses, and factories and the havoc wreaked by the different strains of the Coronavirus.
As the world was locked outside, social media became the most dependable source of communication, work, and information exchange (often also misleading). This list is a throwback at some prominent tweets that mapped the lockdown phase in India.
1. On March 24, 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi after his address to the nation and announcement of the lockdown tweeted at 9:10 PM that there is absolutely no need for the citizens to panic.
My fellow citizens,— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 24, 2020
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO PANIC.
Essential commodities, medicines etc. would be available. Centre and various state governments will work in close coordination to ensure this.
Together, we will fight COVID-19 and create a healthier India.
2. 9 PM 9 Minute Tweet by PM Modi: Posted on April 5, 2020 at 9:34 PM after encouraging the citizens to light diyas in their homes, this became the most retweeted political tweet in 2020. In its year-ender blog, Twitter revealed the same.
शुभं करोति कल्याणमारोग्यं धनसंपदा ।— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 5, 2020
शत्रुबुद्धिविनाशाय दीपज्योतिर्नमोऽस्तुते ॥ pic.twitter.com/4DeiMsCN11
3. Rahul Gandhi’s tweet about a failed lockdown from June 5, 2020 highlights how the stringent lockdown imposed by the Modi regime was a futile task that did nothing to curb the rising cases.
This is what a failed lockdown looks like. pic.twitter.com/eGXpNL6Zhl— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) June 5, 2020
4. The Kejriwal-Yogi spat over lockdown and floating dead bodies from February 7, 2022. This twitter banter is also a reflection of the collapsing democratic values and disregard for human life in the eyes of political representatives elected by us. The Delhi CM and Uttar Pradesh CM left no stone unturned in shying away from their responsibilities. Fingers were pointed, while no substantial step was taken to undo the injustice met to their citizens.
सुनो योगी,— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) February 7, 2022
आप तो रहने ही दो। जिस तरह UP के लोगों की लाशें नदी में बह रहीं थीं और आप करोड़ों रुपए खर्च करके Times मैगज़ीन में अपनी झूठी वाह वाही के विज्ञापन दे रहे थे। आप जैसा निर्दयी और क्रूर शासक मैंने नहीं देखा। https://t.co/qxcs2w60lG
5. Mahua Moitra on 6th June 2020 tweeted about the Centre’s unilateral decision of imposing a nationwide lockdown without consulting with the states.
States NOT consulted on when & how of #Lockdown 1.0 on 24/3#Unlock 1.0 at peak has states with huge COVID spike as people return after 60 days w/ NO distancing & cramped journeys where healthy getting infected— Mahua Moitra (@MahuaMoitra) June 5, 2020
Now if this isn’t sheer #Lunacy 10.0 by GoI I don’t know what