Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has said Rahul Gandhi is the Congress party's prime ministerial candidate for the 2024 Lok Sabha elections,
He said that the decision was made by all parties after discussions and deliberations, as per the reports.
However, Congress has decided to make Rahul Gandhi the PM candidate, Gehlot said, India Today reported.
Talking about the need for the INDIA alliance, he said that there are local factors at play in every election, but the current situation in the country has created "immense pressure" on all parties, the report mentioned.
"The public has created such pressure, resulting in an alliance of all parties," he was quoted as having said.
Gehlot also said that PM Narendra Modi should not be "arrogant", the report stated.
"PM Modi should not be arrogant since in 2014, BJP came to power with only 31% votes. The remaining 69% were against him," he said, as per the report.
He said that when the INDIA alliance parties met in Bengaluru last month, NDA was "scared", the report mentioned.
"PM Modi will never be able to achieve that. When Modi was at the peak of his popularity, he couldn't secure 50% of the votes. His vote share will decrease and the results of the 2024 elections will determine who becomes the Prime Minister," he said, the report stated.
The report also mentioned Gehlot claiming that PM Modi became the prime minister in 2014 "because of Congress".
He criticized Modi's style of speaking, stating that making predictions about the future in a democracy is not possible, it said.
"This decision should be made by the people, and everyone should respect their choice. PM Modi's made many promises but the public knows what happened to them," he said, as per the report.