Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Saturday said a high-level committee will investigate the Odisha train tragedy.
The tragedy so far has left 233 people dead and 900 injured.
He added that the entire focus is on rescue for now.
The crash, one of the deadliest in India in recent times, involved the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, the Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express, and a goods train.
Earlier, the Odisha government said the death count stands at 233, while around 900 people were injured in the accident that occurred in Balasore district, about 250 km south of Kolkata and 170 km north of Bhubaneswar, around 7 pm on Friday.
The rescue operations are on and all hospitals in the nearby districts have been put on alert. Three NDRF units, 4 Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force units, over 15 fire rescue teams, 30 doctors, 200 police personnel and 60 ambulances have been mobilised to the site, NDTV report said.
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has declared one-day state mourning in view of the horrific train crash.
Earlier, Vaishnaw said that air force has been called in to help with rescue operations.
Vaishnaw has also announced compensation of Rs 10 lakh for those who have died, Rs 2 lakh for those seriously injured and Rs 50,000 for those who sustained minor injuries in the accident.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi too expressed his distress over the accident, and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for the family of the dead and Rs 50,000 for the injured from the PM's National Relief Fund (PMNRF).