Foreign Exchange of Hate
Full text of the report © 2002, Sabrang Communications & Publishing Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai, India, and The South Asia Citizens Web, France
1. Purpose, Methodology and Organization
Hindutva, the Hindu supremacist ideology that has under girded much of the communal violence in India over the last several decades, has seen tremendous growth outside India over the last two decades. This report focuses on one US based organization--the India Development and Relief Fund (IDRF), which has systematically funded Hindutva operations in India. "The Foreign Exchange of Hate" establishes that the IDRF is not a secular and non-sectarian organization as it claims to be, but is, on the contrary, a major conduit of funds for Hindutva organizations in India
This report is a product of a careful study and analysis of more than 150 pieces of documentary evidence, almost three-quarters of which are those published by the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (henceforth, RSS or Sangh) and its affiliates, either in printed form or electronically. These documents are diverse in nature, including forms of incorporation and tax documents filed by IDRF with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the US, articles in Sangh Sandesh, the newsletter of the Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh, and occasional reports published by different Sangh organizations in India and the US. The remaining 25% of the documents are from secondary sources, largely drawn from: mainstream media reports, including published interviews with RSS, BJP and VHP leaders; reports of judicial enquiry commissions; reports from citizen's panels; and reports published by various Human Rights organizations. The methodological emphasis on primary sources internal to the Sangh Parivar, is to ensure that the evidentiary basis of the conclusions drawn is of the highest standards.
This report is organized into three parts. A brief introductory segment outlines the broad contours of the Hindutva movement and defines some terms used in the report, including those on this page (such as Hindutva, RSS, VHP, BJP etc.). Those familiar with these terms can proceed directly to the second part of this report, where a detailed institutional analysis is presented; an analysis that clearly establishes that IDRF is a RSS affiliate both in terms of organizational connections and hierarchies, and in terms of personnel. The final section of this report focuses on the IDRF's funding operations and establishes the sectarian nature of the funding. To ensure readability, the basic arguments and evidence are presented in brief in the main body of the report. Supporting material is located either as referenced footnotes or as appendices.
The purpose of this report is to document the links between the India Development and Relief Fund (IDRF), a Maryland, US based charity, and certain violent and sectarian Hindu supremacist organizations in India. The IDRF operates in the US under the rules governing tax-exempt charitable organizations. These rules prohibit such organizations from participating in political activity of the kind that involves funnelling money overseas to violent sectarian groups. Further, the report provides evidence to argue that IDRF's claim of being a non sectarian organization that funds development and relief operations in India is disingenuous at best, and that this claim is strategically designed to insert IDRF into the cultural milieu and goodwill of the Indian diaspora as the 'charity of choice'.
This report is in four parts. Section 1 briefly outlines the purpose, methodology and organization of the report. Section 2 is a brief introduction to the Hindutva movement, its ideology, organizations and operations in both India and the US. Section 3 is a detailed presentation of the documentation that links IDRF to the Hindutva movement. Finally, Section 4 specifically examines the financial links between the IDRF, Hindutva organizations and violence in India. For ease in comprehension this summary outlines the main points of Sections 2, 3 & 4 - though Section 2 is essentially a summary of established scholarship of the last fifty years.
The main points of this study are:
Purpose, Methodology and Organization
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP After My Life, I Will Be Assassinated Like Indira Gandhi: Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- How's The Josh? Can India Win Cricket World Cup? Will Virat Kohli, MS Dhoni Pull It Off?
- Stage Set For Last Phase Of Lok Sabha Elections As 59 Seats Go To Polls Sunday
- FULL INTERVIEW | Power Is Poison, But You Can’t Run Away From It: Rahul Gandhi
- After Rahul Gandhi, TDP Chief Chandrababu Naidu Meets Akhilesh Yadav
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- European Football Round-up: Men On The Margins Come Through For English Clubs In A Manic Week
- CEC Arora Denies Rift In EC, Says Members Need Not Be Clones Of Each Other
- Mamata Banerjee's Nephew Abhishek Sends Defamation Notice To PM Modi
- PM Modi Offers Prayers At Kedarnath Temple, Meditates In Cave
- As May 23 Nears, Anxiety Grows In Kashmir Valley
- After Cyclone Fani, A Swachh Bharat Toilet Has Become Home To This Dalit Family
- Godse Killed Gandhi, People Like Pragya Killing Soul Of India: Kailash Satyarthi
- Cricket World Cup 2019: Massive Boost For India As Kedar Jadhav Declared Fit
- Election Commission Issues Notice To Sunny Deol Over Poll Code Violation
- IPL 2019, KXIP Vs CSK: All Seeing MS Dhoni Calms Down Animated Harbhajan Singh – WATCH
- Your Karma Is Waiting For You: Rahul Gandhi Tells PM Narendera Modi For His ‘Bhrashtachari’ Remark On Rajiv Gandhi
- Sri Lanka Expels 600 Foreign Nationals Including 200 Islamic Clerics After Easter Bombings
- IPL 2019: Working Out Scenarios For All Eight Teams Ahead Of The Final Day Of League Matches
- Easter Bombing Suspects Visited Kashmir, Kerala To 'Receive Training', Says Sri Lanka Army Chief
- 'Your Father's Life Ended As Bhrastachari No 1': PM Modi Attacks Rahul Gandhi
- 'Was Congress Supporting A Crony Capitalist': Anil Ambani's Reliance Hits Out At Rahul Gandhi
- BJP Leader Shot Dead By Militants In Jammu And Kashmir's Anantnag