Dated: 14th August 2004
Sh. Arjun Singh,
24, Akbar Road,
New Delhi – 110 001.
Under instructions from and on behalf of my client Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh, Delhi Prant, I serve upon you the following legal / demand notice: -
1. That R.S.S. is a nationalist and patriotic organization, which inculcates the spirit of nationalism and character building in its members through its Shakhas and other activities.
2. That all sections of society consider Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh as an organization ready for selfless service and marching on the path of social change. The name of Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh has become synonymous with nationalism, patriotism and selfless service of the nation.
3. That RSS is a mighty organization with Shakhas at 40,000 places in the country and is a strong arm of the nation providing it the strength, organization and service and it has always been in the forefront to provide relief and support to the affected persons at the time of calamities like famines, floods, cyclones, etc. without any discrimination.
4. That RSS is carrying on service projects in all areas of country including in the far away North-East tribal areas.
5. That various service projects of RSS are the vision of RSS in action.
6. That being a nationalist and patriotic organization, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh strongly believes in peaceful coexistence of all sections of society and has great respect for the Constitution of India.
7. That the constitution of RSS displays the concerns and commitments of RSS.
The aims, objects and policy of RSS as enshrined in the constitution of RSS are extracted here below:
AIMS AND OBJECTS
The Aims and Objects of the Sangh are to organize and weld together the various diverse groups within the Hindu Samaj and to revitalize and rejuvenate the same on the basis of its Dharma and Sanskriti, so that it may achieve an all sided development of Bharatvarsha.
a) The Sangh believes in the orderly evolution of society and adheres to peaceful and legitimate means for the realization of its ideals.
b) In consonance with the cultural heritage of the Hindu Samaj, the Sangh has abiding faith in the fundamental principle of respect towards all faiths.
c) The Sangh is aloof from politics and is devoted to social and cultural fields only. However, the Swayamsevaks are free, as individuals, to join any party, institution or front, political or otherwise except such parties, institutions or fronts which subscribe to or believe in extra national loyalties, or resort to violent and / or secret activities to achieve their ends, or which promote or attempt to promote, or have the object of promoting any feeling of enmity or hatred towards any other community or creed or religious denomination. Persons owing allegiance to the above mentioned undesirable elements and methods of working shall have no place in the Sangh.
8. That a news item was published in "Hindustan Times" and other Newspapers on 09/08/04 titled "Purge Govt. of R.S.S. Mens : Arjun".
9. That it was stated in the said news item that you Sh. Arjun Singh, had said, "R.S.S. is a fascist force". It was further reported in the newspaper that referring to R.S.S., you had further accused RSS of being responsible for the killing of Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. You said, "If an institution’s biggest achievement is the killing of Gandhiji, what national purpose can it serve?"
10. That you further released a statement under your signature wherein you diluted your allegation as published in the newspaper and said, "I am convinced that the philosophy of hate and violence by which the RSS swears by killed Mahatma Ji. " You further stated in that statement "I am aware of their (RSS) expertise in murder and mayhem"
11.That the statement made by you Sh. Arjun Singh associating Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh with philosophy of hate and violence and also with the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, is false and incorrect. You Sh. Arjun Singh had no reason or justification for making such a statement.
12. That RSS believes in peaceful co-existence of all the communities and there is no place in RSS for persons who are indulging in any sort of hatred and violence.
13. That the statement was false to your knowledge, as you knew that the persons who were involved in the conspiracy of the murder of Mahatma Gandhi were arrested, charge-sheeted and prosecuted by the special court duly appointed by the Government of India under the Prime Ministership of Sh. Jawahar Lal Nehru. Not even an allegation was levelled against RSS in the said chargesheet.
14. That you are also aware of the fact that the commission of enquiry duly appointed by the Govt. of India under the Prime Ministership of Sh. Jawaharlal Lal Nehru headed by Justice Sh. J.L. Kapoor also found that there was not even an iota of evidence of any kind whatsoever that R.S.S. as an organization or otherwise was involved in the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi.
15. That you are also aware of the fact that the then Home Minister, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel wrote a letter to Sh. Jawaharlal Lal Nehru on 27th February 1948 wherein he categorically stated that "RSS was not at all involved in the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi"
16. That these facts are fully known to you and despite of that you have opted to level defamatory allegations on R.S.S., its members and office bearers.
17. That you Sh. Arjun Singh have intentionally, deliberately and knowingly given the above mentioned statements with the intention of harming / damaging the good name of R.S.S. and the reputation of the office bearers and members of Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh.
18. That RSS strongly condemns the above said statements of yours.
Through this legal notice, I hereby call upon you to explain: -
a) Whether you have given the statements in your individual capacity or in capacity of being member of All India Congress Committee.
b) Whether the statements have been given by you under the consent and on behalf of all the members of All India Congress Committee.
You are further called upon to: -
a) Tender an unconditional written apology to the satisfaction of RSS.
b) Give an undertaking that you would not misadventure in future to give any such statement against RSS.
Kindly note that if you do not comply with the instructions of RSS, the RSS would be left with no option but to initiate legal proceedings against you by filing criminal complaint U/s 500 of Indian Penal Code and suit for damages against you and against all other persons/organizations involved in this offence, which, if necessitated shall be entirely at your risks and costs.
(RAJESH K. GOGNA)