Solar generators are a popular choice for those looking to power their homes during emergencies or off-the-grid adventures. With the rise of solar technology, these generators have become more efficient and affordable than ever before. In this article, we will be focusing on the best solar generator for home backup.
When it comes to purchasing a solar generator for home backup, there are a few key factors to consider. The first is the generator's capacity, which will determine how much power it can store and how long it can run. The second is the generator's output, which will determine how many devices it can power at once and what type of devices it can power. Finally, the generator's portability and ease of use are also important factors to consider.
After researching and testing various solar generators, we have identified the top options for home backup. Whether you're looking for a generator that can power your entire home or just a few essential devices, we have found the best options to meet your needs.
Top 4 Best Solar Generators for Home Use
- Jackery Solar Generator 1000
- Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station
- EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator RIVER 2 Pro
- GRECELL Portable Power Station
We understand the importance of having access to electricity during power outages. That's why we've researched and tested the best solar generators for home backup. Our roundup includes generators that are reliable, easy to use, and provide enough power to keep your essential appliances running. Whether you're looking for a backup power source for emergencies or want to live off the grid, we've got you covered. Check out our top picks below.
#1 Jackery Solar Generator 1000
If you're looking for a reliable and powerful solar generator for your home backup needs, the Jackery Solar Generator 1000 is a great option.
- The smart MPPT controller ensures optimal charging efficiency with 100% green energy.
- The power station can be charged with 2 Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panels within 6 hours or via AC wall outlet charging within 5.5 hours.
- The generator is safe and reliable for outdoor camping, featuring industry-leading cylindrical batteries that meet UL safety standards.
- The generator is quite heavy at 34 pounds, which may make it difficult to transport for some users.
- The solar panels and the power station are shipped in separate packages, which may cause some inconvenience.
- The generator is quite expensive compared to some other options on the market.
We were impressed with the Jackery Solar Generator 1000's ability to power 90% of home appliances with 1002Wh (1000W AC output power) and 8 outlets (3AC outlet, 1USB-A , 1USB-A quick charge 3.0, 2USB-C PD, 1*Car outlet). This makes it an ideal choice for outdoor off-grid activities and home backup power to power refrigerator, TV, mini cooler, electric grill, fan, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
We also appreciated how quiet the generator was, despite its large capacity. Additionally, the built-in support for pass-through charging while its battery life is protected was a nice bonus.
Overall, if you're willing to invest in a high-quality solar generator for your home backup needs, the Jackery Solar Generator 1000 is a great choice.
#2 Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station
We highly recommend the Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station for anyone looking for a compact and versatile power source for both indoor and outdoor activities.
- Lightweight and compact design makes it easy to carry and store
- Multiple outlets for charging a variety of electronic devices
- Clean and silent power source with no fuel, fumes, or noise
- Solar panel for charging not included
- Short initial load capacity for some devices
- Limited runtime compared to larger generators
This portable power station is perfect for camping, road trips, and emergency backup power. With its compact size and built-in handle, it's easy to carry around and store in your backpack or car. The iGen160s comes equipped with two USB outlets, one USB-C outlet, one USB QualComm Quick Charge 3.0 outlet, two 120V household outlets, and three 5.5mm DC outputs, making it capable of charging a wide range of electronic devices.
One of the best features of this power station is its clean and silent power source. The maintenance-free Lithium-ion battery provides reliable and rechargeable power without any fuel, fumes, or noise. It can be charged using a wall socket, car charger, or solar panel (not included), giving you multiple options for charging on the go.
The iGen160s also comes with a built-in flashlight with SOS mode and a reading lamp, making it a convenient light source in emergencies. The control panel display shows battery capacity, AC/DC status, and includes DC, AC, USB, and Charging indicators, making it easy to monitor and manage your power usage.
Overall, the Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station is a great investment for anyone looking for a reliable and versatile power source for their electronic devices. Its lightweight and compact design, multiple outlets, and clean power source make it a must-have for outdoor enthusiasts and emergency preparedness.
#3 EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator RIVER 2 Pro
We highly recommend the EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator RIVER 2 Pro for anyone looking for a reliable and portable solar generator for home backup or outdoor adventures.
- The lightweight and compact design of the RIVER 2 Pro makes it easy to transport and use on-the-go.
- With an AC output of up to 800W, the RIVER 2 Pro can power up to 80% of household devices, and the X-Boost mode can bump the output up to 1600W without worrying about overloading.
- The LFP battery gives you 3000+ 100% cycles, and the Advanced Battery Management System (BMS) monitors voltage, current, and temperature, prolonging the battery life.
- The solar panel may take longer than expected to charge the RIVER 2 Pro fully.
- The setup of the solar panel can be a bit tricky, especially for first-time users.
- The price tag of the RIVER 2 Pro and its accessories may be a bit high for some users.
The EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator RIVER 2 Pro is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable and portable solar generator for home backup or outdoor adventures. The lightweight and compact design of the RIVER 2 Pro makes it easy to transport and use on-the-go, and the AC output of up to 800W can power up to 80% of household devices. The X-Boost mode can bump the output up to 1600W without worrying about overloading, making it a versatile option for any situation. Additionally, the LFP battery gives you 3000+ 100% cycles, and the Advanced Battery Management System (BMS) monitors voltage, current, and temperature, prolonging the battery life.
However, the solar panel may take longer than expected to charge the RIVER 2 Pro fully, and the setup of the solar panel can be a bit tricky, especially for first-time users. Additionally, the price tag of the RIVER 2 Pro and its accessories may be a bit high for some users. Despite these minor drawbacks, the EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator RIVER 2 Pro is a reliable and efficient option for anyone looking for a high-quality solar generator.
#4 GRECELL Portable Power Station
If you're looking for a reliable and portable solar generator for home backup, the GRECELL Portable Power Station is definitely worth considering.
- The 288Wh capacity and 330W output can power most of your essential devices during power outages or on outdoor adventures.
- The upgraded battery management system ensures safety and protection for your devices, with built-in overload, overcharge, and short-circuit protection.
- The USB-C PD 60W and USB-A QC 18W outputs provide fast charging for your laptops, phones, and tablets, while the AC outlet can power larger devices like mini-refrigerators and TVs.
- The 330W output may not be enough to power high-energy devices like power tools or large appliances.
- The solar panel is not included and needs to be purchased separately.
- The price point may be higher than some other solar generators on the market.
In our experience, the GRECELL Portable Power Station is a reliable and convenient power source for both indoor and outdoor use. The 288Wh capacity is sufficient for most essential devices, and the upgraded battery management system ensures safety and protection for your devices. We appreciate the fast charging capabilities of the USB-C and USB-A outputs, as well as the ability to power larger devices with the AC outlet. However, it's important to note that the 330W output may not be sufficient for high-energy devices. Additionally, the solar panel needs to be purchased separately, which adds to the overall cost. Overall, we recommend the GRECELL Portable Power Station for those in need of a reliable and portable solar generator for home backup or outdoor adventures.
When choosing a solar generator for home backup, there are several important factors to consider. Here are some key features to look for:
The first thing to consider is the power output of the generator. You'll want to make sure that it can provide enough power to run your essential appliances and devices during a power outage. Look for a generator with a wattage output that matches your needs.
The battery capacity of the generator is another important factor to consider. A larger battery capacity means that the generator can provide power for a longer period of time. Look for a generator with a battery capacity that can meet your needs.
The charging time of the generator is also important. Look for a generator that can be charged quickly, so that you can have it ready to go in case of an emergency.
If you plan to use the generator for camping or other outdoor activities, portability is an important factor to consider. Look for a generator that is lightweight and easy to transport.
Finally, you'll want to consider the durability of the generator. Look for a generator that is built to last and can withstand harsh conditions.
In summary, when choosing a solar generator for home backup, consider the power output, battery capacity, charging time, portability, and durability of the generator. By taking these factors into account, you can choose a generator that meets your needs and provides reliable power during an outage.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size solar generator do I need for my home backup?
The size of the solar generator you need for your home backup depends on the amount of power you require. You should consider the appliances you want to power during a blackout and their power requirements. You can calculate the total power you need by adding up the wattage of all the appliances you plan to use.
Are solar generators reliable for home backup?
Yes, solar generators are reliable for home backup. They are designed to provide power during an outage and can keep your essential appliances running. However, their reliability depends on the quality of the solar generator you choose.
What is the best solar generator for the price?
The best solar generator for the price depends on your budget and power needs. You should consider the size, battery capacity, and power output of the solar generator. Some of the best solar generators for the price include Goal Zero Yeti 400, Jackery Explorer 500, and Renogy Phoenix.
How long can a solar generator power my home backup?
The length of time a solar generator can power your home backup depends on the battery capacity and the power output of the generator. A solar generator with a higher battery capacity can power your home backup for a longer time. You can estimate the runtime of a solar generator by dividing the battery capacity by the wattage of the appliances you plan to use.
Can a solar generator power a refrigerator during a blackout?
Yes, a solar generator can power a refrigerator during a blackout. However, you need to ensure that the solar generator has enough power output to handle the starting wattage of the refrigerator. You should also consider the size of the refrigerator and its power consumption.
How does a solar generator compare to traditional backup generators?
A solar generator is more environmentally friendly compared to traditional backup generators. Solar generators do not emit harmful fumes or require fuel to operate. They also require less maintenance compared to traditional backup generators. However, traditional backup generators can provide more power and can run for a longer time.
Disclaimer: The above is a sponsored post, the views expressed are those of the sponsor/author and do not represent the stand and views of Outlook Editorial.