National

Delhi Riots 2020: Police Files Closure Report In Case Against 7 Accused, Matter Handed To Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Now

As per media reports, the seven accused have been discharged by Additional Sessions Judge Pulastya Pramachala and now the matter has been referred back to the Chief Meropolitan Magistrate (CMM) to deal with the closure report. The development came when the case was at the stage of framing of charges.

Advertisement

Representational Image
info_icon

After over two years since filing a chargesheet against seven accused in a case of North East Delhi riots of 2020, Delhi Police yesterday finally filed a closure report in the matter on Tuesday after several rounds of grilling from the court. Delhi police filed the main chargesheet in the case was back in 2021 followed by a supplementary charge sheet that was filed in February 2022. 

As per media reports, the accused have been discharged by Additional Sessions Judge Pulastya Pramachala and now the matter has been referred back to the Chief Meropolitan Magistrate (CMM) to deal with the closure report. While the six accused in the case were already on bail, the court issued a release warrant for Nadeem after he furnished the requisite personal bond.The development came when the case was at the stage of framing of charges.

Advertisement

The seven accused were Mohd. Shakir, Mobin, Mehmood Qureshi, Mohd. Arman, Nasir @ Arbaz, Imran and Nadeem respectively. 

The Court said the CMM will have to see afresh the material presented by the prosecution and either accept the same or “direct further investigation or record finding that the materials are sufficient for taking cognizance and for summoning the accused persons.”

The legal proceedings so far

Back in July 2022, the court first took cognisance and raised questions in the case. While the final report in the case was filed in respect of one injured person Atul Gupta, there was mention of injuries to other persons also in the FIR. The police had declared those incidents untraced. 

Advertisement

The Court on July 8 last year said the police should at least file separate final reports regarding those incidents. It was later informed that 'untrace reports' have been filed regarding six complaints. The Court then proceeded to consider the case on point of charge with regard to injuries caused to Gupta.

However, the issue again came to prominence in March this year when the Special Public Prosecutor filed a written synopsis mentioning the injuries caused to seven injured persons.

The court raised questions regarding evidence connecting the accused to those incidents and asked the police to explain the loopholes.

The Court later also asked about the law under which different incidents were investigated in the same FIR and how chargesheet for one incident and 'untrace report' for others in the same case were filed. The Police in response said it will file a supplementary chargesheet.

Last Thursday, the Police sought two days to file the supplementary chargesheet to make its stand clear. While granting a final opportunity, the court called it “very unfortunate” that time and again the prosecution had failed to answer its queries in the case. On Tuesday, the Police chose to close the entire case.

Special Public Prosecutor Madhukar Pandey appeared for the Delhi Police

Advocates SN Qureshi and Sarfraz Asif represented the accused persons. Proxy counsel Harish Kumar Sharma appeared for accused Nadeem

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement