Wednesday, Nov 30, 2022

On Nirbhaya’s 6th Anniversary, 3-Year-Old Girl Raped By Guard In Delhi, Critical

The condition of the victim is critical and she is undergoing treatment in the DDU hospital.

PTI Photo (File)

A 3-year-old girl was raped by her neighbour when she was alone in her house in southwest Delhi on Sunday afternoon, police said.

A 40-year-old security guard was arrested in connection with the case. According to police, the man, identified as Ranjeet, saw the girl playing outside her house in the evening around 4 p.m. and took her to his house, where he sexually assaulted her. The incident happened in west Delhi's Bindapur JJ Cluster.

"On hearing the girl's cries, the local residents grew suspicious and entered Ranjeet's house. They found her unconscious and bleeding from her private parts," a senior police officer said.

"A case has been registered against him under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POSCO) Act," he added.

Ranjeet, who is the minor's neighbour, was attacked by the angry neighbours, and was later handed over to the police.

"The condition of victim is critical and she is undergoing treatment in the DDU hospital," the police officer said.

Her parents work as daily labourers.

After taking note of the crime, Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) Chief Swati Maliwal attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the women safety situation in the capital.

Taking to Twitter, she wrote: "Today a 3 year old girl has been brutally raped in Bindapur, Delhi. She is bleeding profusely & is v critical. Am on my way to meet her. How more can this city let down Nirbhaya that even on her 6th death anniversary children are raped! @narendramodi ji, for nth time, pl help!"

Six years ago, on the same day, a 23-year-old paramedical student was gang-raped in a moving bus in Delhi, and later died in hospital.

The incident triggered outrage and protests across the country, and she subsequently came to be known as 'Nirbhaya', the fearless.

Six, including a juvenile were arrested in the case. Mukesh (29), Pawan (22), Vinay Sharma (23) and Akshay Kumar Singh (31). One of the accused, Ram Singh, allegedly committed suicide in Tihar jail while a juvenile was sentenced to three years' punishment in a reform home.

The four others were sentenced to death in 2013 and their capital punishment was upheld by the Supreme Court.

(With inputs from agencies)