The government on Monday said there was no plan to extend the 21-day lockdown which came into force last week in the wake of Coronavirus outbreak that has infected more than 1,000 people in the country.
The Press Information Bureau (PIB) of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting tweeted, saying Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba has denied media reports claiming that the government will extend the lockdown.
"There are rumors and media reports, claiming that the Government will extend the #Lockdown21 when it expires. The Cabinet Secretary has denied these reports, and stated that they are baseless," it said.
Union Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba also dismissed reports that the countrywide COVID-19 lockdown may get extended.
"I am surprised to see such reports, there is no such plan of extending the lockdown," said Gauba.
The 21-day lockdown, announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a televised address last week, is aimed at checking the spread of the Coronavirus.
PM Modi stressed on the need of practicing social distancing to break the chain of transmission of the Coronavirus.
Following the lockdown, there has been a massive exodus of migrant workers from big cities to their villages after being rendered jobless.
(With PTI Inputs)
For in-depth, objective and more importantly balanced journalism, Click here to subscribe to Outlook Magazine