Advertisement
Tuesday, Sep 21, 2021
Outlook.com
Outlook.com

Meghalaya Mine Tragedy: Navy Abandons Operation To Retrieve Body Of Dead Miner

The Naval divers suspended their operation to retrieve the body of an unidentified miner as the body is disintegrating with every pull by the ROV.

Meghalaya Mine Tragedy: Navy Abandons Operation To Retrieve Body Of Dead Miner
| File Photo
Meghalaya Mine Tragedy: Navy Abandons Operation To Retrieve Body Of Dead Miner
outlookindia.com
2019-01-21T08:37:18+05:30

The Navy "suspended" its operation on Sunday to retrieve the body of one of the 15 miners trapped inside an illegal 370-ft flooded coal mine in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills district. The body was spotted four days ago inside the coal mine.

The Navy divers had spotted the decomposed body of a trapped miner on Wednesday, using an unmanned, remotely-operated vehicle (ROV) at a depth of around 160 feet inside the mine's main shaft.

At least 15 miners are trapped inside the mine since December 13 last year after one of them accidentally punctured the wall of the mine, leading to its flooding.

"The Navy today suspended the pulling of the remains, which they had been trying since yesterday evening, as too much disintegration (of the body) took place with every pull by the ROV jaw," operation spokesperson R Susngi said.

The families of four of the 15 miners had on Saturday urged the rescuers to retrieve the decomposed body so that they could perform the last rites.

A multi-agency operation, which included de-watering of the main shaft where the miners are trapped, and of the nearby mines, has failed to yield any result as the water level has not gone down.

The Navy divers were awaiting further instructions from the government, Susngi said.

The family members of the victims from Garo Hills have also been summoned to the site to help identify the body from the video shot underwater by the ROV earlier this week.

An ROV operator from Chennai went on with a search operation in the nearby mines and the Coal India continued de-watering in the two nearby abandoned shafts by running their pumps for 23 hours since Saturday evening, Susngi said.

In the last 46 hours, the Coal India had pumped out over 52 lakh litres of water from the nearby abandoned mines, but it was not enough to bring down the water level that was causing hindrances in the rescue work, Susngi said.

The Kirloskar Brothers Limited, which has also joined the rescue efforts, had managed to pump out over 45 lakh litres of water, he said, adding that the Odisha Fire Services had pumped out approximately 4.5 lakh litres.

Meanwhile, the Meghalaya government was likely to apprise the Supreme Court of the problems in continuing with the search-and-rescue operations, an official told PTI.

The apex court had earlier expressed dissatisfaction with the rescue efforts to trace the miners and rapped the Meghalaya government for not seeking the Army's help.

The top court is hearing a public interest litigation (PIL), seeking steps to rescue the 15 miners.

"We will put forth our views and reports and will act according to the order of the court," the official said, requesting anonymity.

A Supreme Court bench had expressed dissatisfaction with the rescue operation and ordered to take out miners whether they are dead or alive.

Coal India Limited, Odisha firefighters, Kirloskar Brothers Limited and Pune-based KSB are dewatering the abandoned coal mine shafts and the main shaft where the miners are trapped.

(With inputs from agencies)

Advertisement

Outlook Newsletters

Advertisement

Read More from Outlook

Munna Bhais Still Flying High In High-Profile Entrance Examinations

Munna Bhais Still Flying High In High-Profile Entrance Examinations

Experts believe the swindlers have taken control of the entire system and they are doing so without any fear. They suspect one can get 99.5% only if one gets the question paper in advance.

Infiltration Bid By Heavily Armed Militant Group In J&K's Uri,  Army Operation On

Infiltration Bid By Heavily Armed Militant Group In J&K's Uri, Army Operation On

The authorities have suspended internet and mobile phone services in the Uri sector. 'I assure you that we are alert and our troops on the ground are alert as well,' said an Army officer.

'It's A Wake-Up-Call For RCB', Says Virat Kohli After KKR Loss

'It's A Wake-Up-Call For RCB', Says Virat Kohli After KKR Loss

The result put KKR in fifth spot while RCB remain static at third.

New Punjab CM Directs Govt Officers To Reach Office By 9 AM

New Punjab CM Directs Govt Officers To Reach Office By 9 AM

Surprise checks will be conducted twice a week to keep vigil to ensure the availability of all the government officers during official hours.

Advertisement