A fire broke out in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi on Wednesday morning following which 50 patients were evacuated, fire officials said.
The fire broke out around 6:30 am. No casualty has been reported, they said
Nine fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Around 50 patients were immediately shifted to other wards with the help of hospital staff, the officials said.
The hospital said that the fire probably broke out due to high voltage fluctuation and a short circuit.
"There was a minor fire incident in medicine ward 11 (HDU) in Safdarjung Hospital on Wednesday probably due to high voltage fluctuation and short circuit. All the patients admitted in HDU and the ward were evacuated immediately to other wards by our nursing staff and security personnel.
"There was no loss of life. The fire was controlled immediately by our hospital fire safety team. Regular fire drills in the hospital with cooperation from Fire Department helped in managing the situation in time," the spokesperson of the hospital said.
A senior police officer said that prima facie, it looks like the fire broke out due to a short circuit which was brought under control in time by the hospital staff.
Last week, ten patients died after a fire broke out at a Mumbai mall hospital where coronavirus patients were being treated. The fire broke out at the Sunrise Hospital in the Dreams Mall building in Bhandup area.
(With inputs from PTI)