- The Modi Factor. If there was one state where there was a clear Modi factor behind the BJP's landslide, it was Gujrat's neighbour Rajasthan, as Vasundhara Raje herself confirmed. Without Modi, BJP would have achieved between 90-120 seats. Raje herself said that she was counting on a figure of 120.
- Beyond Ashok Gahlot. The chief minister seemed distinctly unstable during the first four years of his tenure. A year back, when it was quite clear that he was going to lose badly, he was given a free hand. Last minute push for social welfare schemes may have helped the needy, but they didn’t convert into votes, as they were seen as mere populist electoral sops. “What were you doing for the last four years?” was the main question people asked. And then the Congress added to the message of instability by sending back CP Joshi and not giving Gahlot a free hand in ticket-selection.
- Lacklustre Campaign. No one, except chief minister Ashok Gahlot, campaigned sincerely for the party in this election. Al though, the central leadership went for some rallies, many big faces from the state in the UPA government -- as ministers or high position holders in the party -- came much later for the campaign in the state. It was left to one man, the sitting chief minister Gehlot, to retain power for the party. As against this, Vasundhara Raje was on the road for nine months campaigning.
- Double Anti-Incumbency. Even those favourably disposed towards the chief minister, as against his challenger, had to factor in the strong wave against many MLAs and ministers of the state government. Rajasthan had been a laboratory for many of UPA-1 and UPA-2's social welfare schemes, but clearly either they were not well thought out or there were shortcomings in their implementation. The scam-ridden UPA at the centre, fighting corruption charges and its inability to control inflation, only added to the misery.
- Failing the Performance Test. Gehlot failed even by the standards of his own earlier tenure where he had, relatively at least, performed better than this term, though he had been unable to retain power even then, and had yielded it to Vasundhara Raje. His term this time round was noticeably weaker, ineffective and unstable, with no action against rampant corruption and communal incidents.
Five Lessons From Rajasthan
Five quick takeaways from BJP's landslide tally of 162 seats, and Congress being reduced to 21
Subscribe to Outlook’s Newsletter
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Horror Of Horrors! How Women Are Being Denied Right To Safe Abortion
- Is Syed Akbaruddin Returning To South Block As India’s Next Foreign Secretary?
- 'Hindi Unites Entire India': Amit Shah On Hindi Diwas
- Drone Attacks Strike Major Saudi Aramco Facility, Oilfield
- India's Actions In Kashmir Will Have Consequences Way Beyond Borders: Pak PM Imran Khan
- From Cambodian Polls To Broken Heart Syndrome, Valley Newspapers Carry Everything But Kashmir
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Watch: When Congress' Gaurav Vallabh Asked Sambit Patra To Tell No Of Zeroes In A Trillion
- Stop War-Mongering, Hand Over PoK To India: Ramdas Athawale Tells Pak
- NCP MP, Chhatrapati Shivaji's Descendant Udayanraje Bhosale Joins BJP
- Hindu Sena Defaces Babar Road Signboard In Delhi, Wants It Named After ‘Great Indian Personality’
- Amit Shah, BJP Leaders Mop Floor At AIIMS To Mark 'Seva Saptah'
- FIR Lodged Against Suspended Cops, Who Thrashed Man For Failing To Produce Papers
- He Got Me There – Smith On Bairstow
- Sarfaraz Ahmed Retained As Pakistan Cricket Team's ODI And T20I Captain
- Terrified Teenager Runs Naked On Street After Being Raped, Thrashed In Rajasthan’s Bhilwara
- Anushka Sharma Showers Virat Kohli With Kisses, Gets Emotional On Hearing Story About His Father’s Death - VIDEO
- Indian Football Team Needs To Win Against Afghanistan And Bangladesh, Says Sandesh Jhingan
- Ashes, ENG Vs AUS, 5th Test, Day 2 Highlights: Jofra Archer Overshadows Steve Smith As England Take 78-Run Lead
- PM Modi’s Vladivostok Visit Strengthens India-Russia Ties Through Indo-Pacific Frame
- JNU Will Survive Morons, For Resistance To Tyranny, Ignorance Is At Core Of Its DNA
- We Are All Migrants, We Are All Mixed: Tony Joseph, Author Of ‘Early Indians: The Story of Our Ancestors...'
- 'Many May Have Died At Home': Amid Communication Blackout, Heart Attack Cases Rise In Kashmir