Almost Half Of Lawyers Roaming In Courts Across India Are Fake, Says Bar Council of India
Almost half of the lawyers roaming across the court corridors in India are fake, suggests Bar Council of India’s two-year-old verification drive.
Earlier this week, BCI chief Manan Kumar Mishra announced before Chief Justice of India J S Khehar and other senior Supreme Court judges that its ongoing drive had already cut the number of genuine lawyers to 55-60% of those roaming court corridors across the country, reported The Times of India.
Citing figures, Mishra said: “...as per the 2012 election statistics of BCI, we had almost 14 lakh voters, but since this verification process has started, we have received only 6.5 lakh applications.“ Voters are lawyers enrolled with various State Bar Councils to practice law in respective trial courts and the state's high court.
Strikes on petty issues and holding up of client’s cases are being blamed on fake lawyers. Former Delhi Law Minister in the AAP government is being tried in court on charges of possessing fake law degree. BCI's Certificate and Place of Practice (Verification) Rules 2015 was one of the steps taken by it to filter fake, non-practising and bad elements from the court campuses and bar associations.
These fake law degrees are of three types: Lawyers enrolled in the bar council years before are untraceable and their certificates are missing, Bogus law degree certificates, Lawyers who have done law on the basis of their direct masters degree under open university scheme, which is not permissible as per Supreme Court ruling
- We Panicked In The End, Says Captain Mithali Raj
- Suicide Car Bombing Kills 24 In Kabul
- Former ISRO Chairman, Udupi Ramachandra Rao Dies At 85
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Maharashtra Collector Confirms EVM Malfunctioning In RTI Reply, Votes Went To Lotus Symbol
- Netanyahu's Comments On Narendra Modi And Chinese President Xi Jinping Caught On Open Microphone
- Former DD Anchor Dies After Coconut Tree Falls On Her During Morning Walk
- Rs 500 Bribe In Media Kits For Journalists At NHAI Event Attended By Nitin Gadkari