Advertisement
X

Meghalaya Violence: Petrol Bombs, Arson Target Government Properties Amid Tensions

Fresh attacks were reported across Meghalaya two days after KSU rally violence, while an Assam-Meghalaya taxi standoff disrupted travel on the Byrnihat-Jorabat route.

Petrol bombs and arson targeted government offices, vehicles and a police outpost across Meghalaya following Wednesday’s violence. X
Summary
  • Petrol bombs and arson targeted government offices, vehicles and a police outpost across Meghalaya following Wednesday’s violence.

  • Five companies of central forces, including four CRPF and one RAF company, will remain deployed in Meghalaya until August 25.

  • The Assam-Meghalaya taxi standoff blocked the Byrnihat-Jorabat road, stranded passengers and triggered demands from transport operators.

Fresh incidents of arson and petrol bomb attacks on government properties were reported across Meghalaya on Friday, two days after violence during a black-flag bike rally by the Khasi Students' Union, as authorities moved to strengthen security and contain tensions in the state.

The attacks targeted government offices, vehicles and a police outpost in several districts. The developments came alongside a standoff between Assam and Meghalaya taxi operators that disrupted movement on the Byrnihat-Jorabat road. The Centre has approved the deployment of five companies of central forces in Meghalaya until August 25 to assist the state police in maintaining law and order.

According to PTI, an office that previously housed the National People's Party at Lachumiere was targeted with a petrol bomb around 5 am. The device did not explode. A police and forensic team reached the spot, collected evidence and registered a case.

In West Khasi Hills, two government vehicles were gutted after miscreants set them ablaze at Nongstoin on Thursday night. Petrol bombs were also hurled at the offices of the Superintending Engineer, PWD, at Mawkhlam and Nongpyndeng, and the SDO, Mawshynrut Civil Sub-Division. Minor damage was reported in the attacks.

In Shillong, a petrol bomb was hurled at the Nongmensong police outpost around 9.30 pm on Thursday. It landed inside the premises and set a chair on fire. No injuries were reported.

PTI reported that two government vehicles and a motorcycle were set ablaze at the Water Resources Department premises in Saiden, Ri-Bhoi, around 2 am. The vehicles and motorcycle were gutted, while another government vehicle was partially damaged.

In South West Khasi Hills, a petrol bomb was lobbed at the Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Officer's office at Mawlangwir around 1 am. The device landed on the roof but did not cause any damage.

Police have so far registered 15 FIRs in connection with Wednesday's violence in Shillong, East Khasi Hills SP Vivek Syiem said.

Meanwhile, the Byrnihat-Jorabat road was blocked from both sides on Friday amid the Assam-Meghalaya taxi standoff. The Ri-Bhoi district administration advised commuters to avoid the route until further notice.

Advertisement

Travellers between Meghalaya and Guwahati were advised to take alternative routes, particularly those travelling for medical treatment, airport or railway connections and other emergencies.

At least 31 vehicles were damaged and several pedestrians were assaulted during Wednesday's violence. Guwahati-based cab operators and transport workers subsequently stopped Meghalaya-registered vehicles at Jorabat and Khanapara.

Hundreds of passengers were stranded, while ambulances and vehicles carrying essential services were exempted. Police said protesters damaged a Meghalaya-registered taxi at Khanapara before the situation was brought under control.

In a bid to defuse inter-state tensions, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma and Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma agreed to work together to restore peace and normalcy following the violence and disruptions.

Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar and Assam Cabinet Minister Atul Bora were subsequently designated to hold an inter-ministerial meeting to discuss measures to ease the situation and ensure smooth movement of people and vehicles between the neighbouring states.

Advertisement

According to PTI, Assam drivers' associations and tourist cab operators have sought an apology from the Meghalaya chief minister and tourism minister, compensation for damaged vehicles and injured persons, and assurances on the safety of Assam-registered vehicles and drivers travelling to the hill state.

They have warned that Meghalaya-registered vehicles would not be allowed into Assam until their demands are addressed. Similar protests were also organised by drivers' unions in Meghalaya against alleged "highhandedness" of certain elements in Assam targeting Meghalaya tourist vehicles.

The Meghalaya government has appealed for peace and urged citizens to avoid actions that could further aggravate tensions.

Published At: