Established in 1922, the University of Delhi or DU, has earned its place among India’s top universities over time. Currently, University of Delhi has 90 colleges and 87 departments under its umbrella.
DU offers a wide range of courses in all streams at undergraduate, postgraduate, as well as doctorate level. This year DU received more than 2.5 lac paid applications for undergraduate admissions. DU grants admission on the basis of merit and entrance tests or DUET at undergraduate level.
This year, National Testing Agency (NTA) is entrusted to conduct the entrance tests for 9 undergraduate courses offered by DU. The entrance exams for these courses are going to happen between 30 June to 7 July 2019 at examination centres situated in 18 cities all over India.
Courses with entrance test based admissions are of different streams and have unique curriculums. Here is a brief about the most sought after courses at the University of Delhi.
1. Bachelor of Science in Physical Education, Health Education & Sports is a three-year course offered at Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science. This course helps students to understand the science involved in physical activities, sports, health, and nutrition. This course includes rigorous practical as well as theory components.
2. B.A. (Honours) Multimedia and Mass Communication (BMMMC) is an interdisciplinary course, which aims at producing qualified media professionals and thinkers. The course curriculum includes in-depth theories of communication and media, along with practical knowledge of production. The course equips students with a vast variety of professions such as communication research, graphic designing, journalism, advertising, development communication, film production, and photography etc. BMMMC is offered at Indraprastha College for Women, DU.
3. B.A. (Honours) Business Economics (BBE) is an application based course offered by 10 colleges in the University of Delhi. It is concerned with economics as well as management. BBE equips individuals to apply theories of economics in day to day business problems. This three-year professional course requires interest and comfort in economics and mathematics.
4. Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) is an undergraduate job oriented management course offered by nine colleges in the University of Delhi. BMS helps students to understand various aspects of business and management. This three-year professional degree helps individuals to take up various management jobs in the industry.
5. Bachelor of Business Administration (Financial Investment Analysis), or BBA(FIA) is one of the most sought after course in DU, which is offered by Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies. BBA(FIA) is a core finance course, which forms a base for students, who wish to pursue a career in finance. The course includes subjects to develop an understanding of financial management, mathematics, and economics.
6. B.Tech. (Information Technology and Mathematical Innovations) is a four-year professional course offered at Cluster Innovation Centre. This course helps students to connect mathematics with other disciplines through IT, and develop innovative projects/products as a part of curriculum. This course is designed to promote undergraduate research.
7. B.A. (Hons.) Humanities and Social Sciences is one of a kind course at DU, which presents an opportunity for the student to design his/her own degree. The course requires students to complete some basic courses at the Cluster Innovation Centre, and do specialisation further in fields like Journalism, Counselling, and Art and Design etc.
8. Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed) is a four year offered by 8 colleges in the University of Delhi. This course is open for female students only. B.El.Ed is a professional programme for elementary teacher education. This course helps students to become qualified teaching professionals. This course is bilingual and has a rigorous curriculum with practical as well as theory components.
9. Five Year Integrated Programme in Journalism is an integrated bilingual course. Students will be given bachelors and a masters in Journalism. The course curriculum includes four foreign languages, skill enhancement courses, and other core journalism courses. Students have an option to exit the course after three years with a bachelor degree in Journalism. The course is offered at Delhi School of Journalism at DU.
The timeline of Entrance tests for undergraduate admissions is as follows-
* JAT is conducted for admissions in B.A. (Honours) Business Economics, Bachelor of Management Studies, and Bachelor of Business Administration (Financial Investment Analysis).
Selection and admission through entrance will be done according to the merit list prepared on the basis of marks secured by the candidate. Some courses have further selection processes and formalities.
For in-depth, objective and more importantly balanced journalism, Click here to subscribe to Outlook Magazine