Here's All You Need To Know About NDA's Vice Presidential Candidate Venkaiah Naidu
The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance on Monday chose senior leader Venkaiah Naidu as its vice-presidential candidate.
A four-term Rajya Sabha member, Naidu is currently the minister of urban development, housing and urban poverty alleviation and information and broadcasting.
Born in the coastal district of Nellore in Andhra Pradesh, Naidu was a swayamsevak with the RSS and later joined student politics.
For the first time Naidu came to limelight in 1972 during Jai Andhra movement. It didn't take him much time to get the ranks of President, Students’ Union, V.R. College, Nellore in 1971.
Elected as president of student union at VR College in Nellore, he rose to become the president or Janata Party’s youth wing in 1977.
Since the begining, Naidu, as a student leader and political figure, made a name for working towards farmers' and the development of backward areas. With his brilliant oratory, Naidu stood apart from other and became one of the most popular BJP leaders in Andhra Pradesh.
Naidu was first elected as an MLA to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly twice from Udayagiri constituency in Nellore district in 1978. He again served as an MLA in 1983.
He was union minister for rural development in the Vajpayee government and has also served BJP’s national president from 2002 to 2004.
- CAG Report Flags 'Critical' Shortage Of Ammunition
- Fake Chinese Spares for Home-Made Bofors Guns
- J&K: Seven Policemen Thrashed By Army Personnel In Ganderbal
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Maharashtra Collector Confirms EVM Malfunctioning In RTI Reply, Votes Went To Lotus Symbol
- Oppo’s Entire Punjab Service Team Resigns Over ‘Insult’, Chinese Firm Attributes it to Miscommunication
- Reliance's Mukesh Ambani Announces Jio Smartphone For 'Zero' Rupees
- Fearing Kanwaria Violence, Police Ask Restaurants To Not Serve Non-Vegetarian Food In Dadri, Greater Noida