India has called for immediate suspension of Kulbhushan Jadhav's sentence and accused Pakistan of violating Vienna Convention of consular access. At the International Court of Justice (ICJ ) at The Hague , where the case is currently being heard, India also said that it fears Jadhav will be executed before its arguments are heard in the case.
A legal team led by former Solicitor General Harish Salve argued the case for India. Salve has concluded his argument and the court will hear Pakistan's observations at 3PM (6:30PM IST)
These are the top points from India’s argument
- India fears that Kulbhushan Jadhav could be executed by Pakistan before its arguments are heard.
- Pakistan repeatedly denied consular access to India & no document of Jadhav's trial process was given by Islamabad
- Human rights which are treated as "basics" have been thrown to the wind by Pakistan
- All requests for consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav fell on deaf ears
- The present situation is grave and that is why India has sought the indulgence of ICJ
- KulbhushanJadhav was framed on confessional statements extracted from him when he was in Pakistan's military custody.
- We want appropriate legal representation for Kulbhushan Jadhav.
For in-depth, objective and more importantly balanced journalism, Click here to subscribe to Outlook Magazine