Advertisement
X

India Vs Bangladesh Series Faces Fresh Uncertainty As BCCI, BCB Discuss Schedule Shift

BCCI-BCB ties have improved since Tamim Iqbal took charge, after months of tension over the Mustafizur Rahman controversy and Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup withdrawal. The India-Bangladesh series remains scheduled to begin on September 3

India's Kuldeep Yadav exchanges greetings with on-field umpires as captain Suryakumar Yadav, right, walks off after the team won the ICC Men's T20 World Cup warm-up cricket match against South Africa, at the DY Patil Sports Academy, in Navi Mumbai. | Photo: PTI/Shashank Parade
Summary
  • BCCI-BCB relations deteriorated after the Mustafizur Rahman controversy and Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup withdrawal

  • Relations have improved since Tamim Iqbal became BCB president and visited India earlier this month

  • The India-Bangladesh series is still expected to begin on September 3, but dates need to be finalised

India’s upcoming white-ball tour of Bangladesh remains uncertain, with BCB president Tamim Iqbal confirming that talks with the BCCI over the series and its schedule are still underway.

India are scheduled to play three ODIs and three T20Is during the tour, with the opening ODI set to be played on September 3. However, with less than two weeks remaining before the proposed start, there is still no clarity on whether the six-match series will begin as originally planned.

“Both boards remain in discussions over the India series," Tamim said at a press conference in Dhaka. “The dates may be shifted here or there."

The latest uncertainty has emerged after the BCB announced the schedule for its new age-group competition, the Game Development Trophy. The tournament is currently scheduled to be played at the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur from August 28 to September 9, overlapping with India’s proposed tour.

However, Tamim played down the significance of the clash, saying the domestic tournament could be moved if the India series is finalised.

“This tournament is being held in Mirpur, but it can be shifted to the Basundhara ground in two minutes, If the India series is locked and fixed, we will schedule it accordingly," Tamim said.

India Tour Was Already Postponed

The India tour was originally scheduled for August 2025 but was postponed to September 2026. The BCB announced in January that the two teams would play three ODIs and three T20Is across Dhaka and Chattogram.

However, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is yet to publicly announce or confirm the itinerary, adding to the uncertainty surrounding the series as the proposed opening match draws closer.

The latest developments mark another setback for a tour that has already been rescheduled once. While Tamim's comments suggest that the series has not been cancelled, the dates remain subject to further discussions between the two boards.

Advertisement

BCCI-BCB Relations Show Signs Of Improvement

Relations between the BCCI and BCB took a sharp turn earlier this year after Kolkata Knight Riders withdrew Bangladesh pacer Mustafizur Rahman from the Indian Premier League. The development strained ties between the two boards and was followed by a series of disagreements.

The situation escalated when the BCB, under then-president Aminul Islam, declined to send Bangladesh to the T20 World Cup, which was co-hosted by India.

However, there have been signs of a thaw since Tamim Iqbal took charge as BCB president. Earlier this month, Tamim travelled to India and reportedly visited the BCCI Centre of Excellence in Bengaluru, signalling a possible improvement in relations.

The proposed September 3 start for the India-Bangladesh series remains unchanged for now, although the two boards will need to finalise the schedule soon if the series is to go ahead within the originally announced window.

Published At: