Under-19 Cricketers Fend For Themselves, Have No Allowances Due To SC-BCCI Tug-Of-War
Close to two weeks into their series against England, the Indian Under-19 cricket team and staff including coach Rahul Dravid are fending for themselves after not receiving their daily allowances.
A report in The Indian Express mentions that the Supreme Court’s recent directives to the BCCI over the Lodha recommendations and demonetisation have had a direct effect on the fledgling cricketers. It says that since the post of a signatory is absent in the BCCI after secretary Ajay Shirke was removed by the apex court, there is no one to sanction funds. The Rs 24,000 cash-withdrawal limit since the note-ban hasn’t helped either.
The report says that these factors have resulted in the cricketers not getting their Rs 6,800 daily allowance for close to half a month. The players are said to be relying on their own faculties and with help from their parents.
The Express report says that sources within the cricket body confirmed that the spot for a secretary was absent. It added that the board has not yet filed a resolution to make either joint-secretary Amitabh Choudhary or Treasurer Anirudh Chaudhary as a signatory to sign off daily allowances.
A committee appointed by the Supreme Court had allowed the BCCI CEO Rahul Johri to sanction funds for the senior players however the 25-strong team for the Under-19 were missed out, adds the report.
“During match-days, one meal is organised by the host association and breakfast is complimentary at the hotel. But the biggest problem is dinner. We are put up in a posh hotel in Mumbai where a sandwich costs over Rs 1,500,” says an Under-19 player to the newspaper, who adds that the players have no option other than having a meal outside after a tiring day in the field.
- Dy SP Pandith Lynched By Mob Near Jamia Masjid
- ISRO's PSLV-C38, With 31 Satellites, Blasts Off From Sriharikota
- US Approves Sale of 22 Guardian Drones to India
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED