In response to the notification on February 10, 2014 of Penguin India’s out-of-court settlement with the Shiksha Bachao Andolan Samiti and agreement to cease publication, withdraw all copies and pulp remaining stock of The Hindus: An Alternative History by Wendy Doniger, the undersigned initiated a petition on Change.org on February 13, raising two demands:
- That Penguin Random House contest the suit against The Hindus through the higher courts, to ensure that a strong precedent upholding freedom of expression be established;
- That lawmakers, jurists and the legal bureaucracy undertake a revision of the sections of the Indian Penal Code under which the suit was brought (IPC 153A, 295A), so as to protect works of serious academic and artistic merit from motivated, malicious and frivolous litigation.
We have received close to 3,500 signatures to the petition in 10 days, including from prominent scholars, writers, journalists and publishers around the world, as well as several Penguin authors (names available on request). We are today forwarding the petition, along with all signatures collected thus far, to the management of Penguin India and to the appropriate authorities in the Government of India. The full text of the petition will also remain up on the Change.org site to continue accumulating signatures.
Signed: (in alphabetical order) –
- Lucknow's Tunday Kababi Shuts Outlet
- Passengers on Wait List Can Tavel in Rajdhani
- Centre to Scrap 7 Appellate Tribunals
- 400 TMC Members Join BJP in Tripura
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Now is The Time to go Ahead With Ram Temple Construction, Says Shiv Sena
- Delhi's Iconic Regal Cinema to Close From March 31
- After Shiv Sena MP's Slipper Assault, Air India Mulling Preparing No-Fly List for Unruly Passengers
- 'Medical Attention Cannot Wait': HC Directs Protesting Doctors to Resume Work
- Govt Sanctions Rs 5,021 Crore to 10 States Hit by Disasters
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BSF Whistleblower Jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav Is Alive, Wife Denies Rumours Of Death
- What Do Copyright Experts Feel About Wrangle Between Ilayaraja And SPB?
- Digvijaya Blames Rahul Gandhi For Not Acting Decisively To Form Governments
- Two Days After Yogi Adityanath Shut Down 2 Slaughterhouses, Three Meat Shops Set On Fire by Mob In Hathras