The Controversial Congress Article
The full text of the article carried by the Congress on its website
No leader in the BJP can match the stature of former Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The founding president of the party, Shri Vajpayee was the Prime Minister of India from 1998 until the NDA was defeated by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance in 2004. Shri Vajpayee was clear what was the reason for the defeat: Gujarat Chief Minister Shri Narendra Modi's failure to control the communal pogrom in his state in 2002.
He believed that the party will lose its credibility unless it took action against Shri Modi.
"Some people wanted to remove him. I was of the same opinion," said Shri Vajpayee in Manali.
This is confirmed by Shri Jaswant Singh, who held key portfolios in the NDA government. He states that in 2002 Shri Vajpayee had even threatened to resign unless the BJP took action against Shri Modi.Advertisement
The fundamental cause of Shri Vajpayee's pain was that Shri Modi didn't perform his Rajdharma. He did not fulfil his fundamental duty as the chief minister: protecting the lives of the people of Gujarat. Towards the last ebb of the Gujarat riots, Shri Vajpayee urged Shri Modi to "observe Rajdharma and not discriminate on the basis of caste, creed or religion". It is evident that Shri Vajpayee believed that the Gujarat CM had been not only inept but downright partisan in his handling of the riots.
Not just the handling of the riots, Shri Vajpayee believed that the Modi government wasn't doing enough to provide relief and rehabilitation to those who had been displaced during the riots.
He wrote a series of letters to Shri Modi instructing him to do all that is necessary for the riot victims, but to no avail.
This raises the question that how can a person whom the tallest leader of the BJP wanted removed as chief minister, be the party's Prime Ministerial candidate?
Will a chief minister who failed to protect his citizens, who discriminated between people on the basis of religion, who made a mockery of people's suffering, ever make a good Prime Minister?
How can a person who failed in his Rajdharma as chief minister ever ensure a peaceful and prosperous future for the people of India?
Having found a new icon in Shri Modi, the BJP is working hard to distance itself from the Vajpayee legacy. Consider this. Shri Vajpayee's niece, Smt Karuna Shukla was forced to leave the party. She is presently with the Congress. Shri Jaswant Singh, a close confidante of Shri Vajpayee, has been expelled from the party. And Dr Subramainan Swamy, a known adversary of Shri Vajpayee who is even reported to have masterminded the downfall of the Vajpayee government in 1998, has been given a prominent place in the BJP!
The BJP might forget Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee. But every Indian must ponder over the questions he raised on the man who is now the BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBThe Dalit march from Ahmedabad to Una seeking justmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED