The Controversial Congress Article
The full text of the article carried by the Congress on its website
No leader in the BJP can match the stature of former Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The founding president of the party, Shri Vajpayee was the Prime Minister of India from 1998 until the NDA was defeated by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance in 2004. Shri Vajpayee was clear what was the reason for the defeat: Gujarat Chief Minister Shri Narendra Modi's failure to control the communal pogrom in his state in 2002.
He believed that the party will lose its credibility unless it took action against Shri Modi.
"Some people wanted to remove him. I was of the same opinion," said Shri Vajpayee in Manali.
This is confirmed by Shri Jaswant Singh, who held key portfolios in the NDA government. He states that in 2002 Shri Vajpayee had even threatened to resign unless the BJP took action against Shri Modi.
The fundamental cause of Shri Vajpayee's pain was that Shri Modi didn't perform his Rajdharma. He did not fulfil his fundamental duty as the chief minister: protecting the lives of the people of Gujarat. Towards the last ebb of the Gujarat riots, Shri Vajpayee urged Shri Modi to "observe Rajdharma and not discriminate on the basis of caste, creed or religion". It is evident that Shri Vajpayee believed that the Gujarat CM had been not only inept but downright partisan in his handling of the riots.
Not just the handling of the riots, Shri Vajpayee believed that the Modi government wasn't doing enough to provide relief and rehabilitation to those who had been displaced during the riots.
He wrote a series of letters to Shri Modi instructing him to do all that is necessary for the riot victims, but to no avail.
This raises the question that how can a person whom the tallest leader of the BJP wanted removed as chief minister, be the party's Prime Ministerial candidate?
Will a chief minister who failed to protect his citizens, who discriminated between people on the basis of religion, who made a mockery of people's suffering, ever make a good Prime Minister?
How can a person who failed in his Rajdharma as chief minister ever ensure a peaceful and prosperous future for the people of India?
Having found a new icon in Shri Modi, the BJP is working hard to distance itself from the Vajpayee legacy. Consider this. Shri Vajpayee's niece, Smt Karuna Shukla was forced to leave the party. She is presently with the Congress. Shri Jaswant Singh, a close confidante of Shri Vajpayee, has been expelled from the party. And Dr Subramainan Swamy, a known adversary of Shri Vajpayee who is even reported to have masterminded the downfall of the Vajpayee government in 1998, has been given a prominent place in the BJP!
The BJP might forget Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee. But every Indian must ponder over the questions he raised on the man who is now the BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate.
- RBI Doesn't Know How Many Notes Scrapped
- Centre Clears Jallikattu Ordinance
- After Teachers Protest, JNU Cuts Salary
- 'India Using Terrorism to Create Unrest Within Pakistan'
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'Looking Forward to Working With You', PM Modi Congratulates Trump
- Car Bomb in Afghanistan Kills 2, Including Police Commander
- Trump's Inauguration: Clinton Attends, Trump Urges Attendees To 'Stand Up'
- Jallikattu: PM Ensures All Efforts Being Made To Fulfill Cultural Aspirations of Tamil People
- Centre Clears Jallikattu Ordinance, Prevention Of Cruelty to Animals Act Not To Be Applied To Bulls
- Now In The White House, Trump Signs Order To 'Minimise Burden' Of Obamacare
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Do Dangal Girl Zaira’s Trolls Prove Kashmiri Youth Are Angry With Anything That Steals Their Aazadi Narrative?
- Trump Tweets A Picture Of Himself Writing Inaugural Speech: Here's How Twitteraties reacted
- Bombay High Court Thinks Hindu Rashtra Sena Men Who ‘Murdered’ A Muslim Over Religion Deserves A Bail As They Were Provoked
- Security Ramped Up At Delhi Airport And Metros After IB Report Says Seven Terrorists Possess Indian Army Uniforms