Hyderabad Man Sends Triple Talaq Through Post Card, Arrested
The police have arrested a man in Hyderabad after he sent triple talaq to his wife through a post card.
Days after a man divorced his wife of one day by pronouncing triple talaq through a post card, the south zone police swung into action and arrested him.
The Times of India reported that the police have booked a case against M Haneef under sections of the Indian Penal Code, including 498 - (A husband or relative of husband subjecting a woman to cruelty) and 420 (cheating). “It is also possible that a rape case will be booked against the accused," Deputy commissioner of police (south) V Satyanarayana told the newspaper.
The practice of triple talaq, sometimes pronounced by husbands even by phone or text message, has been a contentious issue as many Muslim women have challenged it. A Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court would hear petitions challenging triple talaq from May 11. The Central government has opposed the practice in the apex court. However, the All India Muslim Personal Board (AIMPLB) urged the SC "not to meddle with its personal laws."
According to the report, Haneef is already married and the victim was his second wife. "He did not divorce the first wife. The victim was a divorcee and this was her second marriage," said Bhavani Nagar police station's sub-inspector B Ramesh.
The accused married the victim on March 16 at a function hall in Moghalpura in the Old City of Hyderabad.
- Police Officer Pandith Lynched By Mob Near Jamia Masjid
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Files Mercy Petition
- US Approves Sale of 22 Guardian Drones to India
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED