Freedom's Dawn (August 1947)
This leprous daybreak, dawn night's fangs have mangled --
This is not that long-looked-for break of day,
Not that clear dawn in quest of which those comrades
Set out, believing that in heaven's wide void
Somewhere must be the stars' last halting-place,
Somewhere the verge of night's slow-washing tide,
Somewhere an anchorage for the ship of heartache.
When we set out, we friends, taking youth's secret
Pathways, how many hands plucked at our sleeves!
From beauty's dwellings and their panting casements
Soft arms invoked us, flesh cried out to us;
But dearer was the lure of dawn's bright cheek,
Closer her shimmering robe of fairy rays;
Light-winged that longing, feather-light that toil.
But now, word goes, the birth of day from darkness
Is finished, wandering feet stand at their goal;
Our leaders' ways are altering, festive looks
Are all the fashion, discontent reproved; --
And yet this physic still on unslaked eye
Or heart fevered by severance works no cure.
Where did that fine breeze, that the wayside lamp
Has not once felt, blow from -- where has it fled?
Night's heaviness is unlessened still, the hour
Of mind and spirit's ransom has not struck;
Let us go on, our goal is not reached yet.
Ye daagh daagh ujaalaa, ye shab-gaziida sahar,
Vo intizaar thaa jis-kaa, ye vo sahar to nahiiN,
Ye vo sahar to nahiiN jis-kii aarzu lekar
Chale the yaar ke mil-ja`egi kahiiN na kahiN
Falak ke dasht meN taroN kii aakhiri manzil,
KahiN to hogaa shab-e sust mauj kaa sahil,
KahiN to jaake rukegaa safiina-e-gham-e-dil.
JawaaN lahu kii pur-asraar shaahrahoN se
Chale jo yaar to daaman pe kitne hath paRe;
Diyaar-e-husn kii be-sabr khwaabgaahoN se
Pukaarti-rahiiN baahen, badan bulaate-rahe;
Bahut 'aziiz thii lekin rukh-e-sahar ki lagan,
Bahut qariin thaa hasiinaN-e-nuur kaa daaman, ,
Subuk subuk thii tamannaa, dabii dabii thii thakan.
Sunaa hai ho bhii chukaa hai firaaq-e-zulmat-o-nuur,
Sunaa hai ho bhii chukaa hai visaal-e-manzil-o-gaam;
Badal-chukaa hai bahut ahl-e-dard kaa dastuur,
Nishaat-e-vasl halaal o 'azab-e-hijr haraam.
Jigar kii aag, nazar kii umang, dil kii jalan,
kisii pe chaara-e-hijraaN kaa kuchh asar hii nahiiN.
KahaaN se aa'ii nigaar-e-sabaa, kidhar ko ga'ii?
Abhii charaagh-e-sar-e-rah ko kuchh khabar hii nahiiN;
Abhii giraanii-e-shab meN kamii nahiiN aa'ii,
Najaat-e-diidaa-o-dil ki ghaRii nahiiN aa'ii;
Chale-chalo ke vo manjil abhii nahiiN aa'ii
Dawn of Freedom (August 1947) (Literal Translation)
This stain-covered daybreak, this night-bitten dawn,
This is not that dawn of which there was expectation;
This is not that dawn with longing for which
The friends set out, (convinced) that somewhere there we met with,
In the desert of the sky, the final destination of the stars!
Somewhere there would be the shore of the sluggish wave of night,
Somewhere would go and halt the boat of the grief of pain.
By the mysterious highroads of youthful blood
When (we) friends set out, how many hands were laid on our skirt's;
From impatient sleeping-chambers of the dwellings of beauty
Arms kept crying out, bodies kept calling;
But very dear was the passion for the face of dawn,
Very close the robe of the sylphs of light.
The longing was very buoyant, the weariness was very slight.
-- It is heard that the separation of darkness and light has been fully
It is heard that the union of goal and step has been fully completed;
The manner of the people of suffering (leaders) has changed very much,
Joy of union is lawful, anguish for separation forbidden.
The fire of the liver, the tumult of the eye, burning of the heart, --
There is no effect on any of then of (this) cure for separation.
Whence came that darling of a morning breeze, whither has it gone?
The lamp beside the road has still come no lessening,
The hour of the deliverance of eye and heart has not arrived.
Come, come on, for that goal has still not arrived.
- France Votes in Presidential Election
- PIL in HC for Ban on 66 Pesticides
- Liquor Ban Will Unite Religions: Nitish Kumar
- GST Great Illustration of Cooperative Federalism, Says PM Modi
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- US Accuses TCS, Infosys of Violating H-1B Visa Norms
- Indo-Israel Ties More Visible Under Modi Government : Israel
- France Votes in Most Unpredictable Presidential Election in Decades
- Protests Mount in Kerala After Minister Lashes at IAS Officer
- MCD Elections: 35 % Polling Till 2 PM
- Woman Author Alleges Sexual Harassment by Tech Investor Mahesh Murthy
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Tamil Nadu Minister Has A Brainwave: Float Thermocol To Prevent Water Evaporation In Vaigai Dam
- PDP Asks Ram Madhav To Justify The Newly Declared War
- Andhra Pradesh Police Arrest Man For Posting Content Critical Of CM Chandrababu Naidu On Facebook
- Nomadic Family, Including 9-Year-Old Girl Attacked By Cow Vigilantes In Jammu & Kashmir, 10-Year-Old Child Missing