EXCLUSIVE: Manipur Turnaround- Blockade To Continue As UNC Refuses Roll Back
A day after the Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh confirmed that the 3-month long blockade will be called off on Tuesday, the United Naga Council (UNC) has decided not to lift the blockade.
This turnaround comes after the statement made by Chief Minister Ibobi in an exclusive interview to Outlook Magazine yesterday, where he said the UNC and the government of Manipur had mutually agreed to end the blockade and release two UNC leaders who are in police custody.
The economic blockade has been in effect for ninety three days, since 1 November 2016. The UNC says they will stick to their core issue- the roll back of the seven new districts created by the state government. They will not instead negotiate for the release of their two top leaders.
The next round of talks is now scheduled for 25 March 2017. But this comes after the scheduled dates for elections which are on 4 and 8 March 2017.
This decision to continue blockade was taken by the emergency presidential council of the United Naga Council. According to a statement, “the Presidential Council after thorough deliberation concluded that the code of conductcan't limit the Union of India nor the Governor of the State of Manipur fro intervening and fulfiling their constitutional obligation to safeguard and protect land of the tribal as enshrined in the constitution.”
UNC sources confirm that the blockade will continue to be in effect on commercial vehicles and on the constitution of the TransAsian Railways. Government offices will continue to be picketed.
- Lucknow's Tunday Kababi Shuts Outlet
- Passengers on Wait List Can Tavel in Rajdhani
- Centre to Scrap 7 Appellate Tribunals
- 400 TMC Members Join BJP in Tripura
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Now is The Time to go Ahead With Ram Temple Construction, Says Shiv Sena
- Delhi's Iconic Regal Cinema to Close From March 31
- After Shiv Sena MP's Slipper Assault, Air India Mulling Preparing No-Fly List for Unruly Passengers
- 'Medical Attention Cannot Wait': HC Directs Protesting Doctors to Resume Work
- Govt Sanctions Rs 5,021 Crore to 10 States Hit by Disasters
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BSF Whistleblower Jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav Is Alive, Wife Denies Rumours Of Death
- What Do Copyright Experts Feel About Wrangle Between Ilayaraja And SPB?
- Digvijaya Blames Rahul Gandhi For Not Acting Decisively To Form Governments
- Two Days After Yogi Adityanath Shut Down 2 Slaughterhouses, Three Meat Shops Set On Fire by Mob In Hathras