Advertisement
X

Trump Wins Temporary Supreme Court Nod to Continue White House Ballroom Work

The US Supreme Court has temporarily allowed President Donald Trump to continue construction of his proposed White House ballroom while it considers his emergency appeal against a lower-court order halting the project

White House ballroom construction AP/Julia Demaree Nikhinson
Summary
  • The US Supreme Court issued an administrative stay allowing construction of Trump's proposed 90,000-square-foot White House ballroom to continue temporarily.

  • Trump has argued that the project is necessary for national security, while lower courts found that he overstepped his authority by proceeding without congressional approval.

  • The Trump administration says the project is authorised under a separate law, while Solicitor General John Sauer argues that construction is already 65% complete and difficult to alter at this stage.

The US Supreme Court has temporarily allowed President Donald Trump to continue construction of his proposed White House ballroom while the justices consider his emergency request to keep the project moving.

The court’s interim action, called an administrative stay, provides additional time to review whether a lower court order directing construction to stop should take effect. Had the Supreme Court not intervened, the injunction was set to become effective on Saturday, bringing work on the 90,000-square-foot project to an immediate halt.

Trump has argued that the ballroom is necessary for national security. The justices examined whether an incumbent president can utilise official executive spaces for partisan financial benefit. The ruling resolves a major legal dispute regarding the boundaries of presidential power.

Supreme Court Keeps Construction Going

The watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) initiated the lawsuit challenging the events. The organisation approached the judiciary to halt the fundraising operations.

The plaintiffs argued that such activities crossed established legal and ethical boundaries. They contended that public resources should not serve partisan campaign objectives.

Two lower courts have found that President Donald Trump overstepped his authority by ordering the White House’s East Wing to be demolished within days last fall and then starting work on a ballroom without seeking congressional approval. Despite those rulings, construction has continued as the Trump administration challenges the decisions through the appeals process.

In an emergency petition filed with the Supreme Court last week, Trump asked the justices to allow construction to go ahead. He has now described the project as part of an integrated “military complex.” Meanwhile, the preservationist organisation contesting the project has called on the Supreme Court to halt construction immediately, arguing that the work should be stopped even though part of the project has already been completed.

Advertisement

Trump Defends Project As Legal

Trump on Friday thanked the Supreme Court. He said, “I just want to thank the Supreme Court and the Chief Justice — and we have a ruling that's 'proceed...' Construction is under budget and ahead of schedule.”

The Trump administration maintains that the ballroom project is authorised under a separate law that gives the president the power to oversee the “improvement” or “alteration” of the White House residence.

Solicitor General John Sauer also argued before the justices that halting the construction at this stage would be impractical, as the project is already 65% complete, is “moving quickly toward completion” and has reached a stage “past the point” at which substantial changes could be made.

Earlier on August 8, Trump described a federal appeals court ruling blocking the construction of a new White House ballroom as a "National Security Threat" and a "National disgrace", saying his administration would immediately challenge the decision before the US Supreme Court.

Advertisement
Published At: