Advertisement
X

Canada Suspends 'Unfair' US Trade Talks Over Tariff Disputes: What Went Wrong?

Prime Minister Mark Carney said last-minute US demands made a deal impossible for now, as Washington prepares a 50% tariff on about $28 billion of Canadian goods.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney Says Canada Ready To Retaliate US Tariffs | Daniel Pereira - Prime Minister of Canada Official Photo Gallery
Summary
  • Canada has suspended trade negotiations with the United States over Washington’s latest tariff demands

  • Mark Carney said the proposed terms were unfair and uneconomic as 50% US tariffs loom

  • The dispute adds pressure to the upcoming review of the USMCA and Canada-US trade ties

Canada has suspended trade negotiations with the United States after Prime Minister Mark Carney said last-minute changes to Washington's proposed terms were "unfair, uneconomic" and called into question the reliability of any future deal.

Carney said Canada's negotiators had been instructed to return to Ottawa after 18 months of talks aimed at preserving access to the US market while reducing tariffs on Canadian exports. "Our goal has been to secure the best deal for Canadians, never a deal at any price or on any deadline," he said in a statement on Friday.

The decision came shortly before the United States was due to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods. Carney said Canada would match the US measures "dollar for dollar" to protect Canadian workers and businesses.

Why Talks Broke Down

The breakdown came after weeks of negotiations following an earlier US decision to delay the planned 50% tariffs while the two sides worked towards an agreement.

The US Trade Representative's office had said the prospective deal would include "comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments, digital trade alignment" and other provisions intended to protect American workers and markets. (USTR)

Prime Minister Mark Carney, however, said Canada was not prepared to accept an agreement at any cost. In his latest statement, he said negotiations had made progress but the latest US demands were "unfair, uneconomic" and did not meet Canada's objectives. (Prime Minister of Canada)

Canada has therefore paused the formal negotiations, leaving the terms outlined by USTR unfinalised. Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand also met US Secretary of State Marco Rubio shortly before the breakdown, with Ottawa saying both sides agreed to continue engagement on the broader relationship.

This makes the current position clearer: Washington had outlined the architecture of a potential deal, but Ottawa has now suspended negotiations because it considers the US terms unacceptable in their current form.

Advertisement

CUSMA At Risk?

The dispute is unfolding ahead of the wider review of the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement, which replaced NAFTA and has underpinned North American trade since 2020. The USTR says the agreement provides comprehensive rules governing trade and includes dispute-settlement mechanisms.

The White House, however, has said the current USMCA does not provide sufficient benefits for the United States and has linked its tariff policy to a broader effort to renegotiate trade relationships.

The scale of the relationship makes the dispute particularly significant. US goods trade with Canada totalled an estimated $715.5 billion in 2025, while services trade added another $156.8 billion, according to the US Trade Representative.

Canada Looks Beyond US

Carney said the government would respond by strengthening Canada's domestic economy and diversifying its overseas partnerships rather than depending on the US market alone.

He said Canada is advancing nearly $500 billion in major infrastructure projects, while its existing free-trade agreements provide preferential access to 1.5 billion consumers. Canada is also seeking to expand access to other markets.

Advertisement

Despite suspending formal negotiations, Ottawa has not ended diplomatic engagement with Washington. Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand met US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on August 20 and said Canada would continue to engage constructively with the United States on trade. The two sides agreed to speak again, including at the United Nations in September.

The suspension therefore marks a breakdown in the current negotiating process rather than an end to Canada-US trade relations, with tariffs and the future of the USMCA remaining at the centre of the dispute.

Published At: