Under The Carpet
- The capital will have 30 lakh homeless after the Commonwealth Games
- 12-15 lakh of them will be migrant labourers who build the games sites
- One lakh families have been displaced to facilitate beautification plans and build parking lots
- About 2,000 boys aged 14-16 years are working at several games sites in gross violation of labour laws
- So far, over 70 deaths have taken place during construction work and due to diseases caused by the unhealthy conditions prevailing at the living quarters of the labourers
- 50,000 adult beggars and 60,000 child beggars will be removed from the city for the duration of the games and housed in camps on the outskirts
- There is anger over the money that is being splurged. Also at the new taxes announced by the Delhi government.
Delhi may well be bringing its citizens world-class...