- Bengal Gazette was the first Indian newspaper. It was printed by James Augustus Hickey on January 29, 1780, at Serampore near Calcutta.
- Bombay Herald was the first newspaper to appear from Bombay in 1789
- Samachar Darpan in Bengali was the first newspaper in an Indian language. Its first issue rolled out on May 23, 1818.
- Oodunt Marthand was the first Hindi newspaper that appeared in 1826
- Bombay Samachar was the first Gujarati paper. Printed on July 1, 1822, it is still in existence.
The Indian media formally abdicated from duty that morning in the early 1990s when the Times of India (TOI) threw aside any remaining pretences and put up for sale its own 150-year-old masthead. Readers were greeted with their trusted newspaper proclaiming “Let The Times of India Wait”—an advertiser had been lured to pay for...