The Fenced-In Feel
TN 'land reform'-DMK style:
- Bid to fulfil the poll promise of two acres to each landless family-but constrained by limited acreage
- Unutilised public land is being given to the poor with no holdings. Regularising encroached lands.
- Fallow land owned by the poor made cultivable, returned
- Flayed for sidelining the Dalits
- Rich encroachers 'not penalised'
he actions are clearly inverse. West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Haryana are evicting people—protests apart—to acquire land for SEZs, while the Tamil Nadu government is quietly giving away thousands of acres of land to the landless and regularising land encroached by the poor. The DMK dispensation may not have put in place a please-all free land distribution scheme in a highly industrialised state. But it has made a start, despite several limitations, and proved it is serious about keeping its poll manifesto promises.
The land sop was...