- Qualitative methodology to describe consumers’ psychological attributes.
- Psychographic profile: profiles interests, activities, opinions, lifestyle.
- Does this by looking at consumer behaviour, preferences, web surfing patterns, call records and purchases
- All this is used to classify people.
- Companies use profiles for targeted sales and marketing campaigns.
- Trump presidential campaign used this to influence voters.
The revelation that Facebook had allowed personal information from 50 million user accounts in the US to be used by British data analytics company Cambridge Analytica shook the world. It took a toll on the stock prices of many companies including Facebook, whose value tanked significantly, and created a trust deficit in social media worldwide. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg will face the US Congress next week to answer questions about how his social media behemoth has been sharing the confidential information of its users for profit.