Intelligence agencies believe terrorist outfits are spreading their tentacles in South India:
- Security and intelligence focused on tackling terror in J&K and North East. No such security vigil in the south.
- It is easier to set up sleeper cells in southern cities
- There is a sizeable educated Muslim population who are now seen as likely candidates for indoctrination
- A large number of Muslims from the south working in the Gulf are potential recruits
- Arms and explosives can easily be landed on the southern sea coast
- India's new economic muscle, the IT sector, is concentrated in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai. Software parks and scientific establishments could be potential targets.
***Terrorist Strikes In South
May 18, 2007: Blast at Mecca Masjid, Hyderabad, killing 16 persons.
Mastermind: Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT)