- Hilsa fillet 2 pcs; lime juice 35 ml; salt to taste; mustard paste 60 gm; green chilli paste 25 gm; turmeric 5 gm; sour curd 25 gm; mustard oil 35 ml; banana leaves 4-5 pcs.
- Apply 1/2 of the salt and lime juice to the fish fillets and keep for 15 minutes.
- In a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl, prepare a marinade by combining all the ingredients except banana leaves.
- Apply the marinade generously over the hilsa fillets. Wrap each fillet in banana leaves and steam for 20 minutes
- When the fillets cool, make long slits along the lateral line of the fish and take the bones out with the tip of a sharp knife. Reassemble the fish once all the bones are taken out.
- Re-wrap the fillet in banana leaf, steam for another 5-8 minutes and serve with hot rice.