- Vedanta In ’09, Jairam said no to mining. Now says yes to refinery expansion though water is scarce.
- Polavaram dam Gives forest clearance, then seeks explanation
- Posco Under litigation as the ministry says yes to forest clearance for iron ore/steel plant
- Lavasa township Ministry report says ecologically sensitive Ghats will be affected. Later, Jairam lets off promoters with a fine.
- National Green Tribunal Set up after dismantling the National Environment Tribunal. It allows any party (including violators) to appeal against decisions.
Union environment minister Jairam Ramesh is fast discovering that striking a balance between the environment, wildlife, coastal zones, forests and corporate lobbies can be quite a minefield. On one side, whispers abound on how the minister missed out on being...