A few reasons why the Gorkhas are demanding a whole new state...
- They allege the Darjeeling Hills region, dominated by Gorkhas, has been neglected by the state government.
- The Hills Council set up 20 years ago under Subhas Ghising has failed to deliver.
- The Hills region is cash rich. But it's not getting its due vis-a-vis development.
- Gorkha leaders say the promise of accelerated growth by the West Bengal CM is too little and too late.
- They want the centre to intervene, hold tripartite talks with the state government and Gorkha leaders.
***When Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharya announced at the end of an all-party meeting earlier this week that 'Gorkhaland' was beyond the pale of possibility, was he effectively closing all doors to an amicable resolution? Those demanding a separate state for the Gorkhas believe so. The meet, convened to evolve a consensus among...