- 2010 Stromuhr (instrument for measuring velocity of blood flow) Anamika Veeramani
- 2009 Laodicean (indifferent or lukewarm especially in matters of religion) Kavya Shivashankar
- 2008 Guerdon (reward or payment) Sameer Mishra
- 2005 Appoggiatura (a type of musical note) Anurag Kashyap
- 2003 Pococurante (indifferent, apathetic) Sai R. Gunturi
- 2002 Prospicience (foresight) Pratyush Buddiga
- 2000 Demarche (diplomatic representation or protest) George A. Thampy
How The Bee Works
- Eight-graders and below qualify for the National Spelling Bee by winning local bees or spelloffs
- National contest held over three days in June in Washington D.C., most of it broadcast live
- Around 300 enter, only 50 chosen for the semis and finals
- Only 150 seconds allotted to spell a word. Definitions, languages of origin etc provided to speller on request.
- Winner gets $40,000 plus and White House meeting with the president.
- In the last 12 years, eight Indian Americans won though the community is only 1 per cent of the US population