The Lata We Didn't Know
- Originally named Hema. The name she uses is derived from Latika, a character in her father's play Bhaan Bandhan.
- Since starting as a child artiste in the Marathi film Pahili Manglagaur in 1942, she has sung in 22 languages.
- Lata always sings barefeet; she treats her singing as a prayer. She writes out the song she is to sing in her own handwriting before she actually sings it.
- She wears only white sarees but with different coloured borders—specific to each day. Solitaire diamonds are her only sartorial weakness.
- She was rejected by filmmaker S. Mukherji for Shaheed as he felt that her voice was too 'thin'. The range of Lata's voice encompasses three octaves.
- She has composed music under the pseudonym Anandghan.
ata Mangeshkar, born on September 28, 1929, is beginning the 75th year of her life. From the 13-year-old girl forced into a singing career to support her impoverished family to the unchallenged...