10 Days That Shook UPA
- Arresting Anna and sending him to a jail where Raja, Kanimozhi and Kalmadi are housed was pure PR disaster
- In Sonia Gandhi’s absence, Congress and UPA suffer from lack of direction and quiet counsel
- Manish Tewari’s crude bid to discredit Anna strikes false note with TV-watching middle class
- Unleashing Kapil Sibal and Chidambaram boomerangs in face of mounting nationwide protests
- Acting tough, climbing down and then flexing muscle against Team Anna sends wrong signal
- Keeping Opposition in the dark till last minute ensures Lokpal remains a tinderbox in Parliament
From the Left to the Right with the Congress squeezed in the middle, the Anna Hazare-led movement has stunned the political class and led to furious debates and confusion on how to deal with it. The Congress dilemma is straightforward. In the midst of a bad political season, when Sonia Gandhi was unwell and out of the country, it was faced with a citizen’s protest that grew and grew till it became a mass movement. The party stumbled, mishandled, appeared rudderless, till it finally began to deal with a full-blown crisis.