» Data Science »
Outlook asked top data scientists to share some life skills they have learnt from playing with big numbers
- Flight Tickets: The best time to buy an airline ticket is exactly 8 days before the flight. Beyond 8 days, prices tend to fluctuate; they go up sharply as the flight date approaches.
- Google Maps: Using it while taking a cab? Always choose the second route option, even though it might take longer. It’s cheaper. The first option shows the shortest time.
- Movie Tickets: Want to watch a movie? Movie tickets are cheapest on Thursday. Films release on Friday, so theatres try to sell as many tickets of old shows the day before.
- Phone Bills Too High? Avoid taking recharge data packs—choose tailor-made plans instead. This gives you the liberty to use and pay for exactly the amount of data or call money.
- Online Shopping: Looking for cheap shopping deals on the Internet? During any online sale, shop on the competitors’ website to get the best deals.
- Cookies Formula: Look up something online but don’t buy it immediately? The price goes up the next time you visit the website. To avoid this, clear cookies on your PC.
- Shopping Cart: Intentionally leaving your shopping cart full while online? The retailer knows you’re interested in buying, so they’ll email you with a better deal, discounts.
- Low-Cost Diet: On a diet? On a budget too? Buy low-cost foods with high calorific values—regular lentils, peanuts, rice, porridge. Then binge on a high-cal treat.
Read More in: