- The Indo-US nuclear deal had become a war of egos between Prakash Karat and Manmohan Singh. The Left may not want to back him as PM for another term.
- The fact that the Congress won the trust vote despite it withdrawing support and pushed through the N-deal rankles with the Left.
- The pro-liberalisation policies of the Congress are out of sync with core Communist ideology.
- The two parties have been at each other right through the election campaign. Unlike in the past, senior Congress leaders have been very critical of the Communists.
- The Congress has worked towards undermining the Left in its West Bengal bastion. It has also tied up with its arch-rival, Mamata Banerjee.
- A section within the Left feels that having any truck with the Congress will only dilute its agenda.
***What Could Bring Them Together
- Fear of BJP government: If...