If There Is Change
If the 2G heat rises towards the top of the UPA government and there are more adverse remarks from the apex court, then the Manmohan regime could begin to wobble. Whether Rahul Gandhi takes over midstream carries a question mark. In the current atmosphere, these are some of the straws in the wind.
- P. Chidambaram and Pranab Mukherjee are now ruled out even as stand-in PMs, keeping the seat warm for Rahul Gandhi
- A clean and non-controversial leader like defence minister A.K. Antony could well be
elevated; but being a Christian does not help
- With assembly elections due in Uttar Pradesh, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, a Dalit, is also being mentioned but is “no match” for Mayawati
- Given the upcoming assembly polls in Punjab, the Congress could weather the storm and continue to bank on Manmohan’s integrity
- Rahul Gandhi may initially just take charge of the party but is the eventual PM-in-the-making either before or if UPA wins the 2014...