Actively On Hold? Well...
- GEAC meets experts in late April, butthrows no light on safety reviews
- Second report by national science academies supports limited release
- GEAC chairman rejects limited release; assures further discussions
- No decision on further tests or studies to justify Bt Brinjal
- Civil society groups meet GEAC in May, seek ban on further field trials
- Bihar, MP stall transgenic maize field trials; Kerala refuses trials for transgenic rubber
GM crops being tested
Brinjal, Rice, Okra, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Castor, Groundnut, Tomato, Sorghum, Potato, Rubber, Maize, Transgenic Bollgard-II Cotton*, Transgenic Corn*
*Level-II field trials
“The moratorium has nothing to do with the future of GM technology in agriculture...so we are not abandoning GM in agriculture,” Union environment...