Cut Them Out?
- Editorial in Saamna says Bal Thackeray believed Muslim voting rights should go
- Author and Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut backtracks as there are legal implications
- Bal Thackeray himself disenfranchised for some years for hate speeches
- After flak, Sena now says not against Muslims’ voting but should curb birth rate
- No action against Saamna although Election Commission could send notice, police could lodge complaint
Disenfranchisement, as per its meaning, is the revocation of the right of suffrage of a person or a group of people. It can be achieved through the law, or by selective implementation in a discriminatory fashion. It can be done through physical intimidation, where one social group isn’t allowed to vote by a more powerful social bloc.
We now have it on the good authority of Sanjay Raut, a Shiv Sena MP in the Rajya...