Why Pak Was Miffed
- Home secy G.K. Pillai’s remarks on ISI indicated India was coming to talks with a changed agenda
- Nirupama Rao was constantly on phone for directions from Delhi
- India was unprepared for what came up on the table
- India was inflexible on what
- Pakistan sees as core issues, like Kashmir, water or Siachen
- Delhi wanted the focus only on terrorism
- India should recognise that Pakistan too is a victim of terror
When she visited Islamabad in June for secretary-level talks, foreign secretary Nirupama Rao carried a small idol of Guruvayoorappan (the Krishna deity of the famed Kerala temple) in her handbag. The gods were kind: her meeting with counterpart Salman Bashir went without a glitch, with the two continuing to smile and exchange small talk well after the end of formal engagements.
Cut to the recent foreign ministers’ dialogue, and it...