How To Have Fun For Under Rs 2,000
Photo-imaging by Jayachandran
- Hire a local magician to come and perform in your house/rooftop/garden. And invite a whole crowd for an impromptu magic party.
- Buy the Complete Douglas Adams box set—The Increasingly Inaccurately Named Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy of five novels and a short story featuring Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two novels featuring Dirk Gently, Last Chance To See, a non-fiction book on endangered species across the world and the two dictionaries of words that don't exist but should, The Meaning of Liff and The Further Meaning of Liff ("liff" is defined as 'a book, the contents of which are totally belied by its cover.' For instance, any book the dustjacket of which bears the words: 'This book will change your life'). In fact, Rs 2,000 will get you two copies of the box set. Keep one for yourself and gift the other to the person you love the most.
- For about Rs 500, you can go parasailing (Delhi, Chennai). Harness yourself to a parachute and sail through the air 100 feet above ground level. The closest you get to flying.
- Buy a pair of inlines and skate on the sidewalk.
- Build the ultimate fun Hindi film VCD collection. This is what Outlook suggests: Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi (check that the soundtrack works; several friends have bought the VCD only to have a silent movie experience), Padosan, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, Aankhen (the David Dhawan one with two Govindas and two Kadar Khans, not the Dharmendra-Mala Sinha one or the Amitabh Bachchan-Sushmita Sen heist flick), Chaalbaaz, Andaz Apna Apna, Chupke Chupke, Golmaal, Half Ticket and Pushpak.
- If your preference is for Hollywood films, Outlook recommends the following VCDs: a Peter Sellers Pink Panther film (preferably The Return of the Pink Panther), two Marx Brothers films (maybe Duck Soup and A Day At The Races), Throw Mama Off The Train, Analyze This, The Ladykillers, The Gods Must Be Crazy, The Seven-Year Itch, The Blues Brothers and The Little Shop Of Horrors.
- If you are a woman, buy yourself the sexiest piece of lingerie you can find. If you are a man, do the same for your significant other.
- Enrol for a month's lessons in lambada. Or tango. Or whatever. As Nietzsche said: "Every day that you spend without dancing a bit is a day wasted."
- Instal another horn on your car with the sort of sudden loud burst of sound that'll scatter pedestrians. In normal circumstances, use the normal horn. Employ the new one when you want to tell the world who's boss.
- Tank up, put the car on cruise control and zip down the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
- Be eco- and health-friendly. Buy a bicycle and let lose the wanderlust in you.
- Invest in a lower-end telescope and take up star-gazing. An added bonus: you could get an asteroid named after you.
- Or, be a Good Samaritan and give the money to charity.
Subscribe to Outlook’s Newsletter